Honeymoon Phase - LADA T1D

I understand how you feel – I am really sorry you have to go through this process.

The only good thing, I guess, is that when it’s over you don’t look back (at least I think it’s true for most all of us – maybe I am wrong?). I was relieved. A burden was lifted from me, and hopefully will be from you too! We do not have to be afraid of the future when it’s over. And, truly, there was very little difference in the end: the loss of control was hardly noticeable, really.

2 Likes

Thanks; I hope so, too!

1 Like

@Sam - What is the reason you would continue to run c-peptide testing?

1 Like

I honestly don’t know I can’t seem to get even a decent explanation of that from y own doctor who keeps ordering the lab. He’s made several mentions that he considers it either “zero, or not zero” from a practical perspective and any number in between he considers meaningless in my case due to the vargueries of the test…

1 Like

Is he part owner of the lab by any chance?

This is my diabetes life, honeymoon or no honeymoon. I repeat this process over and over and over, due largely to the effects of female hormones every month but also due to the million other factors that affect blood sugar. Every time I think I’ve found stability it will last a couple of days or maybe even almost a week at times, and then everything flies out the window and goes insane. Sometimes it takes me weeks just to get back on track again. I’m currently in one of the “out of control” periods because I’m not at home and don’t have my usual schedule on top of hormones and increased activity and probably stress and fighting off all the cold bugs everyone around me is getting (and I’m not) and a million other factors. Even with eating very low carb and using a CGM 24/7, I’m struggling just to keep 20-50% of my readings within my target range.

Maybe this is just me. I know that my blood sugar control is more volatile than many here, especially the guys who don’t have their insulin needs swing by 50% up or down every two weeks. But to me, it’s just a part of living with diabetes and not necessarily anything that the end of the honeymoon period is going to solve. :frowning:

3 Likes

I am SO sorry that is the case. :slightly_frowning_face: During pregnancy (crazy hormones and varying levels of resistance), it was pretty awful right up til the last few weeks, a bit like what you describe. I’m hopeful I will have a little more stability in future, as even now, things don’t vary as much as they used to.

2 Likes

Believe me, it’s not. And I don’t have the female hormone thing to cope with, but there are still a million other factors. (Only a million?) The biggest frustration for me is that something that worked perfectly yesterday Simply Does Not Work today. It’s easy to beat oneself up – Geez, you idiot, you should know how to do this after all these years – and much, much more difficult to say, There’s no explanation. There is no lesson to learn for next time. And just move on and try to get the numbers into target range.

6 Likes

I’m still in it. Diagnosed this May at 30. My TDD is about 1/2 - 2/3 of when you’d predict by weight. My fasting c-peptide at diagnosis was 0.3 but then I had one 3 months later at 1.2 (which is normal) so it must vary quite a bit. There are days when I barely spike for a the same meal and go low after and there are days when the same thing will send me to the 250s. And some lows when the pancreas decides to work for a meal that I’ve dosed for.

2 Likes

I realize I might be performing necromancy by replying to such an old topic, but I would love to hear how things have changed for you guys over the past 18 months. That is, if you don’t mind sharing a bit more. I haven’t read anything discouraging revival of old topics, but please let me know if I’ve made a mistake. :slight_smile:

For me it’s been 4 months since diagnosis and things have been very stable so far. I’m a bit anxious thinking about how things will be down the road though :thinking:

3 Likes

Reviving old topics is completely fine. Especially if it leads to an update and more information about the topic at hand. As a small point for the health of the site, it also works if you create a new topic and link the old topic, while including the @name of the people you want to respond.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and very little has changed although I’ve consistently needed more and more insulin. There has been no distinct “end” to anything

4 Likes

Same here…Since diagnosis 4 years ago my TDD has gone up about 15-20%. Interestingly the increase has been on my meal insulin/carb ratio and not my Tresiba basal. The first two years I was on Lantus and slowly increased my basal over those two years. Started Tresiba two years ago and have periodically fiddled with increasing the Tresiba dosage but I always end up at 20 units daily (started at 19 units two years ago). But my insulin/carb ratio used to be in the 1:9 range 3-4 years ago and now seems closer to 1:7.

3 Likes

The first 2 years were relatively stable. I was put on a modern MDI regimen of Levemir and NovoRapid, and started pumping a few months in. My A1Cs were always around 5.9-6.1 with relatively minimal effort and what I thought was good carb counting. Sometime in the third year I started to see numbers I had never seen so high after every meal, and had to increase my insulin needs substantially. I was never able to get under 6 again until I started reading forums, got a CGM and re-evaluated almost everything about 3 years ago.

3 Likes

If you are currently monitoring your BGs (Libre?), and observing how your BG responds, your well on your way to being the best expert about YOUR diabetes, and how to adapt to changes as needed.

We’ve come a long way from testing urine for glucose to real time BGs and trends.

Is there something specific you’re most anxious about, or just general?

2 Likes

Thank you all for sharing! I’m hoping for the gradual change that @Sam and @John58 are describing. I’m thinking that learning and improved management might keep up to sort of cancel out the detrimental effects of my declining insulin production.

That sounds like me right now. My carb counting seems very good. I’m measuring everything that I cook and entering it in an app on my phone to calculate all the macronutrients automatically. I find that it’s a relatively small effort that gives me some peace of mind when I know exactly what I’m eating. I’d like to attribute my success to this, but I think that I might have an experience similar to yours somewhere down the road.

I suppose I’m concerned about a general decline if management becomes harder, and especially the emotional effect of that. I feel like I’ve reached acceptance very quickly without denial or too much anger along the way, and I’m worried that a future change might turn my acceptance on end.

Now I realized that I might sound very negative, so I just want to say that I’m still optimistic overall. Finding FUD has been a great way for me to learn as much as possible and let me be prepared for the problems that arise, and deal with them at that time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a very good point. The tools today are truly amazing. My uncle has Type 1 since he was a kid. I’ve talked to both him and my grandmother about treatment back in the 70’s. It makes me grateful to have been diagnosed at this time.

4 Likes

The hard part becomes the timing of digestion and other variables, such as stress, activity level for the day, the weather, how well insulin is absorbing and the amount of it that is destroyed by the immune system at a given time, etc etc. I can take the same amount of insulin for the same meal 2 days in a row and have completely different results. Also timing is a huge hurdle. For example, even if I know exactly how many carbs are in a given meal, some will digest right away and some later. It’s not always consistent how this will happen and it’s difficult to time the curve of the insulins that are available to the digestion of different foods, which is one huge reason why loop/AP systems are useful. Either way sounds like you’re doing great and it’s nothing to worry about, it just is what it is!

4 Likes

I’m curious about what app you use and how user friendly it is.

I’m glad this forum was revived. There aren’t many insulin dependent D’s where I live, but I actually met one recently who has been diagnosed with LADA and I wasn’t clear on how it’s the same or different than plain ol’ type 1.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right. The effect of all these different variables is very noticeable for me as well. Actually, a doctor told me that there wasn’t much point in putting too much effort into the carb counting because there are so many other variables anyway. That’s an idea I disagree with though. I think that the existence of many variables just gives me even more reason to eliminate the amount of carbs as a possible error source.

I agree about the advantage of looping. Right now I’m mostly stable anyway, and I’ll keep doing MDI for as long as possible, but I think I will eventually want to look into looping. The progress of technology right now is very promising.

1 Like