Have T1D, will travel: a trip to the Sahara

Oh my word! Definitely the definition of unlimited! Thank you so much for sharing this!

1 Like

At FUD we are all a little doctored, and we are all appealing as well

4 Likes

You mean appalling?

Just as a point of interest, I have been rather sick on and off lately, necessitating quite a bit of bloodwork now and again. When I had a blood culture done, where they draw two separate vials from two separate locations – one from each arm in this case – the phlebotomist scrubbed my skin for an intensely long amount of time. I then paid attention, every time I had blood work done, and they would scrub my skin with an alcohol wipe probably to the count of 10.

I am here to say that we have never done this when applying a pod. We wipe and allow to dry.

But if one was traveling in questionable conditions, maybe very vigorous scrubbing would be advisable.

Although, we have traveled in very questionable conditions frequently, and honestly we don’t shower every day, and site infections have yet to happen. The one time they did was from shaving with a dodgy razor.

Also, thank you for writing up all of the stories about your trip, I am really enjoying the travelogue soooo much!!! OK, I add 100X excitement to this because the photos didn’t load originally when I wrote my reply, and they were amazing! I’m so excited you guys got to go out there.

3 Likes

That’s interesting, @TravelingOn . And really scary to have had an infection there, @michel!

I always remember @Eric suggesting strongly the use of an alcohol wipe for every change. Eric, do you do this for finger pricks too? Admittedly, I remember it and feel guilty every time I don’t use one (more often than not). My guess is that @Kaelan and @Michel followed this type of protocol, though.

MRSA is such a nightmare. We’ve had two rounds of it with our daughter’s feeding tube site. One of those things that opens up all sorts of risk to infection even as it saves lives.

3 Likes

@Irish, you are right, we always use an alcohol wipe before a sensor or pod change. But we did not have a “process” or routine to make sure we did it perfectly: we just swabbed it a few times. So I really like @TravelingOn’s idea:

Counting 10 seconds before the end of the deal sounds like it will definitely enhance our odds to avoid further problems. Now I am going to have to convince my son :slight_smile:

And scrubbing! I’m not sure that this is necessary, but it is a marked difference than how we have been handling it in the past.

And @Irish I am sorry to read about the MSRA and your daughter’s feeding tube. I can imagine it’s no fun and hard to remedy. When I was sick, I had an infection in a surgery site on top of my foot. It never healed up properly when initially sutured, took a couple courses of antibiotics and some topical stuff, and eventually closed on it own. But it was a major pain and it’s so hard to know if it’s worth another course of antibiotics or not (I do believe in them, but there are side effects that are serious as well - thrush and C.diff ran me over.)

2 Likes