Good, bad, or indifferent

I would say that it is the percentage of hemoglobin that has glucose molecules attached which is Generally proportional to the average blood glucose levels over the previous 3 months

The problem is, I would want to distinguish that it is not a true ā€œaverageā€. An average would add highs and lows and divide by the total number. The A1C simply measures highs, and absences of highs. Nothing about lows.

Imagine two people:

• 250, 325, 190, 400

and the other:

• 250, 325, 190, 400, 80

One would have a lower ā€œaverageā€ BG, but if you discount stripping of glucose from the RBCs (which is a minimal factor) both of those people would have the same A1C.

Again, this is probably not important to any newbie. The term ā€œaverageā€ is probably okay for most purposes. So your definition is perfectly fine. But for those that like to get into the meaning, maybe we want to be more precise?

Iā€™m not real passionate about this either way, just opening it up for discussion.

I get what youā€™re saying and it may be a topic some people want to explore and delve intoā€¦ I added the ā€œdirectly proportionalā€ term to water down the meaning of calling it the ā€œaverageā€

@Eric @Sam et al:
This is an old paper, but it certainly points out some of the problems with A1c, but does endorse it as a (crude) measure of mean Bg over time

I think it would be great to have on wiki on that. In fact, I learned quite a bit in this thread already. Would anyone be willing to take that on?

I will take that on.

2 Likes