Good, bad, or indifferent

Thanks, Mike! It’s true…the living with it bit makes all the difference. His own daughter (now 20) has it, but as he was talking with me, it was so clear that he didn’t know experientially the part that made decision making critical. For example, I noted one particular place when I was stacking with exercise. Exercise most commonly brings a high down for me but often with a significant rebound (40 points). If I’m not prepared to handle that rebound, it makes for a long night. To this he looked downright doubtful and said, “You’re just not normal in anything, are you?” I thought he was joking, so I laughed before I said, wait, you mean that? He went on to explain to me that exercise brings everyone down.

Eric, I’ve replayed this in my head all weekend. Thank you for this. And I find your scripting to be helpful too. I’ll definitely be adjusting (and practicing) my lines before my next visit. Especially your list of things that goes into each decision I make with insulin. And also your bit about the meter being deceptive. As to Afrezza, I have a plan (which includes switching endos if he doesn’t grant my request at the next visit. But thank you. I’m waiting to wean our baby until I try it, so for now I’m doing okay but looking forward to the day. Your offer is so kind!

@docslotnick, your every word was a balm. Thank you!

@mike_barry, not familiar with how this is relevant. Can you enlighten me?

@britt_j, I haven’t. That’s a good idea…and I had wondered about that in the past, but it seems to be tracking fairly accurately, given the A1c—and also when I feel lows, they seem to correspond to the 50s on my meter. If that measure were really low, it would mean I’d be feeling it at 70 or higher, and I don’t think I’m anywhere near that hypo sensitive. But it’s a really good idea. Should do that–would you do that with a blood-draw at your endo?

4 Likes