Goldilocks and the 3 Bears story...with Insulin

It’s so funny looking back…when Liam was first diagnosed we were on the phone with the Endo literally 3 times every day. Now we don’t even think of the endo until the 3 month appointment comes around. Hard to believe he’s not even 4, and he’s been living with this 1 1/2 years already. How time flies…you guys probably remember frantic me back then. lol…I still am, but I have better tools to deal these days, than back then. A lot more self education done.

3 Likes

Same here. Now the forum is my #1 resource, way before my endo. In fact, in most cases my endo is a negative resource (not the NP though).

1 Like

Not at all B, you just started a healthy discussion that hit a nerve with our members. Keep it up!

Not at all!

I think your point is well taken. Possibly toddlers are just a bit too complicated or too difficult to manage to be covered by KISS in this case, and least in the case of @ClaudnDaye?

I don’t think diabetes is ever kiss (honing in on the word simple here) for anyone. The concepts - yes. The follow-through, staying on course, watching what you eat, how you live, how you expose yourself to the environment, the constant carb counting,etc., I don’t think that’s “simple”. In concept, yes…it’s all very easy to understand after you’ve been doing it a while. But the DOING part…that’s the harder part that causes the concept of KISS, imho, to not really apply to any diabetic, ever. If diabetes is EASY for anyone here, please tell me your secrets…

The KISS principle is relative. It can not be taken as an absolute or out of context.

If you can achieve the desired outcome with 10 lines of code then why bother with 1000 lines of code.

If you can achieve the desired outcome with 10 basal settings then why bother with 18 basal settings.

Failure to achieve the desired outcome is failure and not part of the KISS principle.

In my world (personal and professional), KISS actually has a better translation of:
Keep it Safe and Simple.

Safe and Simple are often at odds with each other such that it requires consideration how far to go either way.

3 Likes