Geographic variation in T1 incidence: why?

Same for us, no T1D in the family. I suspect when all is said and done, some variants will have strong hereditary influence (i.e. families with multiple T1D children and parents) and others will be more influenced by some genetic mutation that occurs and will eventually be identified. Either way, the suck is real.

1 Like

there’s a correlation with low vitamin D levels but i’m not sure if that means giving a vitamin D supplement will then end up preventing it. I can’t remember but I think they’ve done some studies to that effect, with discouraging results.

We have no T1D in our family, but my husband’s dad and grandma had Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. My grandmother had MS and my dad’s siblings had rheumatoid arthritis and what we think may be lupus. So autoimmunity does seem to run in the family.

3 Likes

Totally agree—this is an unwarranted logical jump. Not only do we have no idea if a vitamin D supplement can actually provide vitamin D to your system, but it could well be that the low vitamin D correlation is a consequence of something that causes both.

Also right, at least for their consequence on osteoporosis:

2 Likes

We have no T1D in my family, besides me (and no T2 whatsoever). I have a first cousin with Graves’ disease, but that’s the only known major autoimmune disorder in my extended family. I would imagine that there are multiple risk pathways, some involving heavier genetic components (such as in families with major patterns of T1/celiac/thyroid disease) and others with weaker genetic factors. I would not rule out pathogenic factors (e.g., viral, bacterial, etc) as key components in triggering the autoimmune reactions, especially for those of us without major hereditary patterns.

3 Likes

Early in my scientific career I had the opportunity to have a class with a really smart young scientist who specialized in absorption of vitamins. Most of her work at the time centered around how nature packages vitamins, how much was absorbed from a dose, and what co-factors are required for or that accelerate absorption. Now I am no expert, but from what I gathered, taking a pill that contains little to none of the co-factors required for absorption and expecting absorption to occur isn’t a great way to spend my money.

2 Likes

I’ve always been a bit confused about vitamins and supplements. I’m not one to spend my money on them, either. But a few years ago my vitamin D level was tested and came back at 19 (converted to US numbers), so my GP told me to take vitamin D supplements. When I told my endocrinologist, he said I should just continue taking them indefinitely. I had my level re-checked last year and after years of supplements it was 36, which some seem to consider normal and some seem to consider low. I’ve continued taking vitamin D supplements, since I figure they can’t hurt. I’ve added vitamin B12 and iron supplements in the past few months because those levels are also low and my doctor (specifically GP and cardiologist) advised me to.

As for family history, I’m the only person with Type 1 diabetes (or any diabetes) anywhere in my immediate or extended family. However, various members of my extended family have had Hashimoto’s, Graves’ disease, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, and probably others I’m not aware of. So there’s definitely a history of autoimmunity there, as well as a strong history of various allergies. In my case, I figure the fact that I was born very premature and spent the first four or five months of my life in the hospital screwed up the “learning” and “fine-tuning” of my immune system. I feel that this, combined with my genetic predisposition, is why my immune system has always been a bit out of whack and I’ve had autoimmune and allergic problems basically my entire life.

1 Like

I will interested to know if your levels of the other supplements comes into range. On the vitamin D front it would be interesting to see what happened to your levels if you increased your sunlight exposure a bit and added a meal with wild caught salmon once a week.

1 Like

both Samson and my younger son have low vitamin D levels but I sort of wonder too if the gummies they take make a big difference or if the real solution is to just get them out in the sunshine. This article I found interesting:

That said, there’s not much you can do during the winter when it’s pouring rain (atmospheric river here!) and they have to be inside a school building for most of the good hours of sunshine.

1 Like

I have low vitamin D levels. I’m constantly be written vitamin D prescriptions month to month. I’m supposed to take one per day, but I’ve been lacking lately. I need to get the prescription re-filled.

Honestly I am.not sure it will make a diff… I used to take a lot of supplements, but the many negative studies have soured me.

1 Like

Vitamin B12 has already come up into range after three months of taking a supplement.

As for sunlight, I do spend 30-60 minutes outdoors each day since I can’t drive and that’s typically the time it takes me to walk around between bus stops and train stations. :slight_smile: However, I also live in Vancouver, so it’s not all that sunny here outside of two months during the summer. My understanding is that I live far enough north that sunlight is much less effective at providing vitamin D even when you do get adequate exposure.

And I do eat salmon about twice a week (well, except now I think I may have developed an allergy to it, so that may change). Though, I don’t catch the salmon myself. :slight_smile: But it is BC salmons, so fairly local and un-processed.

4 Likes

You do live in a good place to get wild salmon. Down here in Oregon we have friends that take full advantage of the long and fruitful salmon runs.

1 Like

That was a very interesting read about sun exposure. I’ve never thought much about the other benefits apart from vitamin D. Now the correlation between vitamin D and T1D seems like a pretty weak result.

2 Likes