For hypos, do you think more carbs works faster than fewer carbs?

This is all I can find as well as far as “helpful” information goes. Who ever came up with this bogus strategy. Its never ONCE worked for me. Not ever.
I just got to sweat it out for at least 1/2 hour or more. literally.

and, I might add, where did they come up with the idea that all lows require 15gms of carbs? 4 grams brings me up by aproxamately 20 points. If I am at 50 (I know that that is not low for you, Eric), 5 grams will bring me up over a BG of 70. Why would I need more than that?

2 Likes

Because you know, averages, and conservative averages at that. Often medical advice is overly simplified and made more conservative so it “always” works. In this case, we are in the same boat. My son usually treats with 5 grams of sugar and delivers insulin if the low requires any additional carbs because his blood sugar will soar like an eagle if he doesn’t.

5 Likes

Though it takes a bit of review for a non-geek, that’s the best explanation I’ve read/heard from anyone on the process(es) involved and reasoning of what to use. Particularly the “concentration” angle! Thanks, helps me with my “logic” seeking attitude!

1 Like

I’ve very limited experience, but when going low and treating it, I tend to pull out my BG meter and test a few times over 15-45 minutes, vice relying on the CGM. I find what I’ve read is true: the CGM takes at least 10-20 minutes to acknowledge the treatment (be it tabs, orange, or apple juice), while the meter sees it in the blood MUCH sooner and offers psychological relief. I take the “Pirates of Caribbean” approach on the 15 minute rule…it’s more a set of “guidelines” and people with the problem probably know more about their own reactions than the “guidelines.”

4 Likes