Feeling powerful

Our typical backpack list for a 4-day backpack would be this, other than the clothes you are wearing:

One t-shirt to sleep in
One Fleece jacket (weight depends on season)
One rain Jacket
One pair of rain pants
Hat
4 pair of socks
Small knife
Small headlamp
Compass
Sleeping Pad
Sleeping bag or small blanket if really warm
Swimming trunks
lightweight teva’s or sandals or water socks for around camp
One or two Smart Water bottles that connect to Sawyer. Purchase at any convenience store. Only bring one if multiple water sources in the day or doing short mileage.
Toothbrush
Bug Dope
Bandanna
Panty liners (for women) - one per day plus an extra
Smallest Lightest backpack that will fit your equipment. Bring it all in and test in the store if needed.

Group Equipment
One small first aid kit (SMALL like fits in a sandwich sized ziplock) with some duct tape and moleskin added.
Tent
Cook pot (if heating things)
Alcohol stove (can be made out of a soda can) or small butane stove if the alcohol stove seems too crazy
Sawyer water filter that screw onto disposable water bottle, one “dirty water botttle” or other container to pick up the dirty water and force through the filter
Food - less than you think you will need. Less weight = more happiness. We are never hungry after a day of hiking. Usually have to force dinner down.
Small tube of toothpaste
Map(s)
I have run into people doing the entire pacific crest trail out of a school sized backpack. You need less than you think.

5 Likes

Awesome!

Thank you so much for posting your list. I will definitely reference it as we prepare. We’ll need to buy some stuff before we go, but I’d like to make sure we don’t spend money on things we won’t need. This will be very helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What ??? Where’s all the diabetes stuff?

1 Like

My wife and I don’t have diabetes. But suffice it to say, when my son comes along he has a gallon ziploc with the diabetes stuff.

3 Likes

Please know you can rent most of the stuff from REI like tents, sleeping pads, stoves and sleeping bags. Might want to rent to make sure it is your cup of tea before purchasing.

2 Likes

We already have a backpacking tent and lightweight sleeping pads. The stove will be really cheap, and lightweight sleeping bags will come in handy next year on the laugavegur.

I’d be super surprised if we didn’t end up having the time of our lives :smiley:

3 Likes

Well then you are well on your way to certified backpackers and Unlimited FUD’ers!

3 Likes

Arches is a really beautiful place to hike. One of the hardest hikes in North America is the 'Cactus to Clouds" hike. You start at the Palm Springs Art museum, elevation 500 feet, and end up at the mountain tram station, elevation 8500 feet. I’m a T1D but didn’t have any problem with the climb. I have done this hike twice. The next time we plan to hike to take the same trail but hike to the top, an elevation just under 11,000 feet. We always ride the tram down the mountain. On

On this hike you must carry all of your water. You can refill at the 5000 foot ranger station. They have a great restaurant at the mountain tram station.

Dennis

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ve had some fun adventures!

I hope the “Cactus to the Clouds” hike is beautiful in addition to being so difficult?

I’m all about the beauty :smiley:

1 Like

It is a beautiful hike especially in the spring. You go from the desert to the mountain landscape. You see all of the different growths when things are in bloom. Make sure you carry plenty of water. Also make sure you are in good condition. You must leave the bottom of the trail real early in the morning so you can get ahead of the high temps. When you get to the picnic tables you can evaluate your physical condition. After that it is too late to turn around to go back now.
I have never had a problem with my T1D doing this hike. Of course I carry my SW3 watch for my CGM and a one-touch meter for a backup. Very good eatery at the mountain tram station.

1 Like