Expired Afrezza - thoughts on experimenting with it?

Why have you stopped using it as often?

A while ago out of curiosity I asked about this issue with the company and honestly I got responses that it was not a discussion to be had here. It was confusing and strangely upsetting to me. So I’m glad to see this discussion but still frustrated by past post.

I took a break to try Tandem Control IQ and some of my Afrezza is expired. I’ve had no issue with it’s potency.

I can’t recall the time that we shut down Afrezza discussions, at one point there was a financial company that was shorting Mankind and publishing all kinds of nonsense in our’s and other forums to try to make their short position more profitable. I can’t help but wonder if that was the source of your frustration.

Recently I’ve just been needing longer lasting bolus, quite often having to bolus several times over several hours with injected… I think this may just be an awkward phase in my progression, as I still take a relatively small about of basal, but I’ve not had any luck increasing that… so currently things are a bit out of whack and longer acting bolus seems more beneficial… afrezza still works fine just requires more follow up doses

2 Likes

Maybe that was it. I didn’t know about any behind the scenes stuff so I was asking about the reasons why there was weird untrue information on other forums and sites about the company when my experience was so the opposite. I was just looking for clarification for my basically suspension about things I’d read other places. Usually I get really honest answers here so I asked. But this post was open and helped explain it.

1 Like

Glad for that. It isn’t easy maintaining on open site with high quality materials. Eventually when you get too big the moderation has to get more heavy handed to keep things in check. We have been fortunate to not have to go that route very often. I think that is because we have such great members!

3 Likes

I don’t always phrase my question or comments clearly online so I chalked it up to that. Between vision and pain sometimes I rush through it. I can imagine it’s a big job for admin. Thank you for the effort put into a great site!

2 Likes

I relate! It’s a constantly changing battle. I’m glad there are options to turn to as things evolve. Going back to the pump to try out Control IQ has been a double edged sword. I’m having good results and success with the algorithm but going back to the original logistical issues of using a pump are all still there. So who knows where it will lead. Nature of the beast.

2 Likes

I just read through my post. It was not shut down and actually there were very helpful responses with only one that left me me feeling confused and I see now that it was only a misunderstanding on my part. That’s totally on me. I’m sorry for misrepresenting it. Geez. Perfect example of not phrasing things right. Sorry Chris :frowning:

2 Likes

No harm, no foul. No apologies needed. Glad you got it sorted though.

2 Likes

It seems like the Afrezza may be out of my system in about 1 hour, whether 4u, or 8u. I’ve used 8u mostly for carb meals of about 45-60 g for which I would need about 6-7 units insulin. I haven’t tried combining 8u and 4 u. I noticed excellent, or steady numbers at the 1 hour point. If I’m at 110, at the beginning of the meal, at 1 hour, I may be at 100, or 92. Expired or not, it’s great stuff. After 1 hour, it’s the nature of my meal - rice, and stuff - I have to follow up with 2-3 units of Novolog. With a simple snack of fruits, nothing beats Afrezza! Afrezza prevents the runaway BG of fruits!

5 Likes

Some light reading about the technology of technosphere insulin. I’ve only read the beginning:

1 Like

I wonder about a couple items:

What is the resistance to having Afrezza as one of the many tools for us, diabetics? Why doesn’t Afrezza run TV ads such as “Ask your doctor about Afrezza”. Many other drugs run TV ads…“Ask your doctor about …”

Doctors who hesitate or do not prescribe Afrezza is the major obstacle. Maybe insufficient patients are asking their doctors for Afrezza?

Until I joined FUD, I knew nothing about Afrezza, CGM’s. Why is it that doctors do NOT encourage frequent BG testing and the use of CGM? No doctor recommended CGM’s to me. I find healthcare, insurance puzzling. If we, diabetics are provided with the information and choice of tools available - perhaps we can manage our health better. Instead, insurance seems to be about illness management. It’s almost as if, let the diabetes worsen, insurance will pay for dialysis, or whatever else complications that may occur.

Does anyone work in insurance? For example, Isn’t it better to reimburse test strips, which is the first step in “preventive care”? Frequent testing may minimize or prevent highs or lows. Better rebursement for CGM to minimize hypo and hyper? I’ve heard of people who landed in ER because of hypo. The cost of a CGM seem much lower than an ER visit. I know that I’m preaching to the choir… If someone works in insurance, or if you don’t work in insurance and can maybe shed light on the matter. Am I missing some profit motive angle? Is the insurance/reimbursement/medical system so warped that they do better, if the diabetic patient worsens?

1 Like

This was on TV for a while, but have not seen recently.

Unfortunately doctors were hesitant to prescribe, dosing/RX instructions confused many, limited sales reps to educate doctors.

My endo gave me samples when I asked. So then asked if other patients had reported their experiences. His answer… no other patients asked about it. My endo said he would likely only suggest it to type 2s that need insulin, but are non-compliant because they don’t like injections.

My insurance has never covered it, but did have discounted cash price last year, but that ended, and I’m still using up that supply.

2 Likes

It really is a shame that Afrezza didn’t catch on any better than it did. The existing companies did a really good job of raising doubt with physicians about it because of the past experience with an inhaled insulin that did cause some lung issues. Sometimes the best capitalized win despite the new companies best efforts.

edit - It didn’t help that some short sellers ran a smear job to make their shorts pay off more.

2 Likes

I wonder how the insurance company coverage works…do the pharma companies “lobby” with insurance companies to be covered? my limited experience with Afrezza, has been fantastic. Others have had great experience. It’s truly a shame. Which needs to come first, Afrezza insurance coverage, or doctors writing Rx? Afrezza is FDA approved. It’s not like it’s an experimental drug.

1 Like

Yes, the pharma companies negotiate with the insurance, but in order to have an insurance company pay attention to you, you need to have enough usage to get their attention. chicken meet egg…

1 Like

I’d experiment with expired Afrezza. I’d experiment with any Afrezza. “This product is the future,” people were saying. Unfortunately, it seems the future is not coming to Canada.

2 Likes

Mother’s Day 2020.
A most unusual one…it was one without my two children because of sheltering in. I decided to have some takeout lasagna (unknown carb factor) from the local place with a simple cucumber/apple salad. Thank goodness for Afrezza. I took 8u at dinner. An hour later, I was at 116 - similar to pre-dinner.
Checked 45 minutes later BG 178.
took a 4 u cartridge.
30 minutes later BG 153
Another 30 minutes later :BG 131

Feels pretty good for having had lasagna and managed to have stayed below 200 (I’m guessing on this one since I don’t have a CGM)

The funny thing is that the lasagna tasted great while I was eating it. The texture of melted cheese together with the lasagna pasta is something not easily duplicated. Or if there is another lower carb option I most likely will prefer it because : I was noticing that after about an hour, there was a feeling of too much grease and heaviness. The feeling of grease and heaviness also occurs after eating store bought pizza.

When I was in Italy, 2 years ago, we ate pasta, pizza and there was not any feelings of heaviness and foods too greasy…etc. What do you think may be the biggest difference between Italy Italian foods, vs American Italian foods? I’ve heard some people speculate that it’s the type of wheat - that the ones in Italy are “better”; more like the way it was, rather than processed or highly modified like in the US.

2 Likes

I get this same feeling, and even nauseous. I stay away from pizza. But I often eat cheese all by itself, so it could be the combination of bread with cheese??

I also did not have this same issue in Italy but never made the connection. Good observation!

2 Likes

Maybe there is some truth here, the most used wheat in Europe is soft varieties while it is the higher gluten red most used in the US. Having eaten extensively in Italy I would guess that it might also be that they use much less cheese on their pizza and serve much smaller portions that you find in the US. All over italy we ran into very hot ovens where the pizza cooked in about 2 minutes and so you usually get a thin crust pizza with a couple of dollops of fantastic freshly made mozzarella cheese as opposed to a thicker crust with much more shredded cheese loaded onto it.

Also nice in Europe is a sandwich where the bread is the star and the meat is only there for flavoring.

2 Likes