Experience with 4AllFamily Coolers

My update with a test run this past long weekend. I have 1 canister, the biogel, regular lid, and refrigeration USB lid.

The insulated canister with the biogel worked fantastically for 2 days straight (actually closer to 55 hours). No issue, and I even left it in a hot car now and again with 85F+ weather outdoors (so it got HOT in the car). Cold when I opened it. Not cool, but COLD!

I then tested the special lid for refrigeration with the USB electricity connection. I used it in the car for several hours road trip, switched to indoor outlet for another 12 hours while I refreezed the biogels. It really did maintain a temp under 46F the entire time (as far as I could tell).

I used that test vial today, insulin is working great in my regular pump program. So this system really did work well.

I am far more confident for this trip. The area I’m visiting was already at a steady 100F last week. It’s a very dry/arid climate, so Frios will work for my in-use vials just fine, although a shorter life.

5 Likes

@mremmers thanks for pointing out humidity factors ! The humidity where I’ll be will be very low, so my Frios will work well even if for a shorter time period due to high heat.

You can increase the dose as you detect the degradation, but using a new vial doesn’t help; the degradation is temperature related so the unopened vials degrade exactly as much as the opened one, unless you fail to put the opened one back in the insulated pack.

1 Like

@jbowler

My post asked about experience with specific equipment while traveling. However, I will address your point.

At home, I keep my in-use vials in the fridge in between withdrawals. After 21 days, my body does notice the degradation - see above, it starts to act like R insulin in me.

The fridge temp is not the issue, because a new vial from the same fridge is always good, even if several months old. A new vial does help.

It’s not as simple as setting a 110% rate in my pump either…the action time, the ISF, carb and protein ratios all change, worsening to day 30. Forget an exercise mode for that week.

Adding more programs for this 4th week of the vial, in addition to the week of my menstrual cycle is a lot of customization and tracking.

When those weeks have coincided, the insulin is like water. And hell on my body and mind. I get migraines if I get to 130mg/dL and can’t get down within a half hour. No joke.

I appreciate you sharing the scientific data. I don’t doubt the studies. I am myself a scientist (again, see above posts).

My science background is how I tracked all my CGM patterns to find this issue.

I tested my hypothesis, then tested the null hypothesis. I had my theory, more testing, and now have my law: new vial after 21 days. My endo concurred!

We each do what we have to do to live with our T1D.

3 Likes

Ok, and your vials don’t last for more than 21 days after first open. The 21 days doesn’t matter; it’s only a few extra vials over the standard 28 day stated lifetime (after opening).

Your insulin won’t degrade in a few months more than maybe 10% when stored at temperatures that peak out at 100F, and that’s if you actually store the insulin so that it hits that temperature. You have access to advanced refridgeration. Worst case it fails. No worries; insulated containers work just fine, they work just fine up to 40C or more.

I’ve done this. It was in 1973 or 1974. My mother’s approach was to buy a couple of small screw top containers which had maybe 1/2" of PU insulation and stick the vials (minus the boxes of course) in them. Worked fine for 14 days; no refridgeration, this was 1972, equatorial and inland.

3 Likes

Update since my trip:

This system worked amazingly well!

I started the trip from home with the ice pack biogel in use, TSA scanned it, no problem. Once we crossed the ocean, customs, etc. and got our car, I switched to refrigerator mode with the USB for a few hours car ride, worked great.

There were times that the house fridge was kept warmer than typical, so I used the refrigerator mode. Biogel in freezer for later. When electricity was patchy, I switched to biogel.

Outdoor temps reached 41C (106F) at one point, and the ice pack biogel with the extra boost lid did great!

I had to use a Frio pump wallet to keep my pump cool, too.

Last day, hotel had a fridge, not freezer in the room. They gave me a claim voucher and froze my ice pack biogel overnight for me, before my flight. The airport security gave me no issues, just asked to see it all, scanned the biogel.

So, all in all I’m glad I purchased the system. I was in very rural areas with inconsistent refrigeration or electricity, then desert areas with extreme temps, very long car rides in extreme temps, etc. All my injectables survived.

And I saw the Milky Way, twice, including the Perseid meteor showers. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

@MsCris Thank for the report! I wasn’t aware Frio made the wallet for pumps, nice to know!

4 Likes

@TomH, yes- it has an inner moisture protective pouch and an outer wallet belt loop. I used the loop on a “fanny pack”, worked great.

And as @mremmers pointed out, Frio packs work when humidity is low enough. In my case, relative humidity ranged 25-60%, so it was not a problem. My pump felt cool to the touch (of course, at 106F :hot_face:, a lot feels cool).

3 Likes