Drinking and Type 1 Diabetes. A long discussion, with some good 'splainin

Given this is FUD is should choose my words carefully and probably post some expirimental data before making claims… :laughing: I am sure there is a reduced liver dump but it is not enough to be noticable.

I have noticed no appreciable effect from drinking alcohol on my blood sugars and I do not make any treatement changes (i.e. food insulin) when I consume alcohol. The only thing I have noticed is if I have a social weekend where more alcohol is consumed than normal, I sometimes (rarely) need to fun a slightly higher basal rate on a Monday - I hypothesize that is the liver dumping glucose but it could also be something diet related.

To @Nickyghaleb’s question - The high-carb booze I drink is beer and port and I will bolus for these according to a carb count. When I drink a mixed drink like a gin and tonic, I use a sugar-free mixer (i know that real tonic is better than diet tonic but hey - that is how I roll.

So to @Eric’s question - on a summer day, I can sit in the garden and drink 3 gin (2 oz of gin each) and diet tonics and read a book over an afternoon and I will have no worries about going low or needing food.

When I have a free afternoon, I will do an experiment to test my hypothesis.

7 Likes