Does Anyone Have Recommendations for how to Help Family Members Understand the Complexities of this Disease

If you’re going to average once every 12 years, maybe we’ll all be cured before your next go-round. :smiley:

2 weeks… that was very brave. We’ve had mixed family gatherings that didn’t make it 2 hours without absolutely mind-numbing events taking place. Can’t imagine what they could accomplish given 2 weeks…

And an impossible journey at times, no? Maybe my family is different than everyone else’s? :smiley:

1 Like

Speak with bold and complete confidence. Rattle it off like it is 2nd nature to you. Let them bask in their ignorance when you are done speaking.

My BG is currently 64, but heading downward. Based on my recent activity, my liver will store about 2/3 of the carbs I eat right now, in a process called glycogenesis. The remaining carbs will be available to my blood. Since my blood volume is about 4.8 liters, you can see how the remaining 1/3 of the carb total I am eating right now will raise my blood glucose to 100. The math is trivial, so I will leave that to you as a problem-solving exercise, but don’t forget to convert liters to deciliters, and grams to milligrams, otherwise you will miss it by a factor of 100.

Have it ready, like you are reciting the pledge of allegiance from 3rd grade memory.

4 Likes

Am I supposed to know all that? Because I kind of base it on “ooh, that looks yummy, and I get it cuz I’m low.”

Too basic? :smiley:

5 Likes

But seriously, I’m off to memorize it…

1 Like

Honestly as far as I’ve determined it’s a totally lost cause. My moms a doctor and my dads a nuclear engineer and they can’t wrap their minds around the reality (despite an incomprehensible amount of effort on my part) that it’s a little more complicated than, “do we need to eat lunch earlier than that because of Sam?”

People who haven’t lived it just can’t get it. They don’t have the necessary indgredients to make it possible in their reality.

Then an entirely different level of understanding I think is the one parents of young children have… where they understand the issues but they have no direct feedback that they can feel…

That’s truly the reason groups like this are born. Nobody understands but people who’ve walked many miles in the same shoes…

10 Likes

We run a pretty calm household. We have had vacations when my children were younger and spending a ton of time with their cousins, where they have been, can we just go somewhere quiet for a few days. So I totally get that.

2 Likes

We were going to Wal-mart for a BREAK! We can’t stand Wal-mart but that was my oasis. Just sayin.

2 Likes

Geez, I can’t stand my family–and it’s got nothing to do with diabetes. So few of the things in my life have to do with diabetes. Maybe that’s better.

5 Likes

True - my wife was sympathetic to my diabetes before my son was diagnosed with T1; however, now that she has to take care of someone little with T1 she actually gets it a lot better.

6 Likes

All I can say is “we FEEL your pain”. I appreciate my family a bit more after reading this. :flushed:

5 Likes

I always start my diabetes dia-tribes with an assertive ‘Actually…’ or ‘In reality’ or in some cases ‘Whaaaat tf?’

I like a good discussion around the facts, Jack. If you ain’t got facts, I’ma gonna learn ya. :wink:

4 Likes

You’re. Poor. Wife. :flushed:

1 Like

Would it have been in bad taste to bring her cat mcdonald’s? As a treat? And then say things like, “don’t be ridiculous!” In response to your sister’s protests?

Or are you a bigger person than that and get no satisfaction out of misplaced revenge? :thinking:

1 Like

My husband and I thought it was the funniest thing ever!

I almost shared my insulin w the cat but I couldn’t bring myself to go that far.

3 Likes

:rofl:

Just as an unrelated tangent - for diabetic cats they generally use Lantus. But it’s crazy expensive without insurance. If you wanted, since you are on a pump you could probably spot your sister some Lantus. That might help build a bridge for you both.

2 Likes

I have thoroughly enjoyed this topic thus far. It seems many many D-peeps have family issues of one type or another, yet somehow we (or maybe just me) tend to think we are the only ones with bizarre family members. In my blood related family, there are exactly ZERO family members that know I am diabetic. My step dad knows (20+ years later and boy was he surprised). My step uncle knows (10ish years after diagnosis), my brother in law and his wife know (2ish years after diagnosis) and my mother in law the Stanford nurse doesn’t have a clue. Why? For many of the reason already listed. I just haven’t had the bandwidth to deal with my own issues (real or imagined) plus theirs and the inevitable urban myths surrounding diabetes. I imagine one day it will all come out - eventually. Until then my time with them is limited by choice. I am kind of working on the curmudgeon persona with my extended family, since we have never been close, why start now?

1 Like

And I was just talking about McDonald’s… :pensive: (that’s my head hung in shame). I was only joking… and I think this is a wonderful idea.

There was a guy in my group today who mentioned donating some of his old insulin to an animal shelter, speaking of which. Said he couldn’t find a place that would accept it for humans (I’ve also looked but have never found), but there are places who are happy to accept it for animals.

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb There is only one place that I know of currently that accepts Insulin for humans, and the bulk of the donations leave the US due to US law. Insulin for Life out of Florida

1 Like