Diabetes and Bears

Our deer feeder was empty here but that didn’t stop the raccoons from spinning the actuator at the bottom trying to get more corn out of it. They are crazy smart and persistent.

7 Likes

OMG $300 minimum for a bear canister?!?! For this price you could easily get a 30-06 and protect both yourself and your supplies.

1 Like

a .44 Mag would be easier to carry.

2 Likes

and the link to the food storage page (“bear resistant canisters” in the previous link). That, second, page points out that it is not permitted to hang food in Yosemite; I didn’t know that. There are canisters for rent, the one they have for rent is probably this one, $75 from REI.

Fun pictures on the first link :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good point! We’ll split the food between my partner and me to minimize chances of losing all of it. I’ll carry a Humalog pen in a pocket as well. Appreciate all your comments! You’ve said a few things I wasn’t considering- just don’t have the experience to think of them yet.

I think this will be my plan. While I like the idea of hanging a bag between two trees because it’d be lighter, I think I’ll start out with the bear canister - hopefully the cheaper one at REI will work for us.

As I’ve been reading up about what to bring and pack for backpaking trips, my general impression is that less is more… but you need experience to know what you can do without.

My backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and tent (my half it) adds up to about 10 pounds which seems to be a pretty good range for someone trying to keep things light but not go to the extremes- at least as far as I can tell anyway. My partner’s weight for the same items is similar. If we need to add some weight for the bear canister for our first few trips, I think we should be okay.

I appreciate everyone’s comments on this thread. You’ve been very helpful.

2 Likes

The “Garcia” bear canister I got from REI (years ago) weights 47.3oz according to the kitchen scales. It’s around 20cm diameter by 29cm high inside, so that’s 9 litres. You need to think about water and cooking too; will safe water be available? I always used to carry a filter so that I could drink stream water safely, but this is on the west coast where everyone is concerned about cryptosporidium; when I was growing up in the UK my mother just carried iodine tablets (which we never once used :wink:

It’s possible to avoid cooking, but for me that means no tea and that is simply unacceptable. Cooking also makes the food lighter; bulgar wheat is quick to heat (it just needs some boiling water) and I always found it to be a good source of carbs to cover all the excercise.

1 Like

Ah, yes. We generally have gone places that have access to water that can be at the end/sleeping location at least. But if you’re carrying in all your water then, yes, more bang for your carb-to-weight-ratio buck.

Nope. Crafty buggars. I had squirrels in Havasu Falls unzip our food hang bag which was 15’ between two trees, climb inside and chew through a vinegar packet. I believe that scared him off. But if he’d gotten in to the other good stuff we’d have been bummed. I now secure the zippers with mini carabiners. Which helped.

I had raccoons break into my studio, pull over a 20# canister of cat food and drag it ten feet across the room. They also climbed a ladder and broke a fluorescent light fixture by hanging from it. I would assume they’d carry off a bear canister more than a bear. However those are suburban raccoons who’ve been attenuated to human behavior and cat food is a big reward.

I’ve had major raccoon issues at car camping sites across the US. I’ve never heard of anyone in the backcountry worrying about them, but it makes sense. But they’re likely to eat the easy food before working too hard for your bear canister. Ideally they’ll roll it away but they can’t get it open and you’ll find it nearby. You’ll hear it too I assume. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, filtering water is easy. Getting over giardia or some other GI issue is hard.

1 Like

Really? I dunno. I suggest you can do without most of it.

I watch people bring these 45-60 pound packs. No gear sharing. Three times as much food as needed - and not diabetic. Literally the entire Costco toilet wipes packet - for three nights. Like seriously, how many times are you going to need to wipe your butt in one weekend? If you need 40 wipes, you should get tested for Giardia.

And it’s some fit of manliness for these guys - I don’t have a ton of lady friends who do this - sorry guys.

Some stuff you need for sure. Extra sugar. Dibe stuff. Waterproof matches if you are cooking (and I’m with @jbowler - tea is a must!) Warm layers/waterproof option. Hat.

But some stuff is silly. And if you wanted to hang out with your junk all weekend, you should just stay at home. :wink:

3 Likes

This is not going to happen. That can’t be healthy.

I think water and the bear canister will be our heaviest items (aside from those I already listed). If we come anywhere above 30 pounds then we’ll have to switch to trails with water sources. I’m not carrying a pack over 30 pounds, and I’d prefer to carry one that is several pounds lighter. Can’t tell how realistic that is until I load the things up we’ll need and weigh them all.

Thanks again for all the suggestions :slight_smile:

Agreed :grin:

My wife and I’s base pack weight without food and water is about 14 pounds each, add one liter of water and food, and you can get around 23-24. Anymore than that is taking away from the experience imho, unless you are just humping it a short distance to a base camp. 30 is definitely realistic and would be considered a limit for me. When we get our boys to backpack with us, we dump the weight on them (Fair since they used to dump their weight on us) and my wife and I get away with 15-16 lb packs which is really lovely.

2 Likes

Wow, somehow I missed this earlier. Where did you go?

At the time we lived in the middle of the country, we traveled out to Oregon and walked from Mt. Jefferson to Snoqualmie Pass on the Pacific Crest Trail. Awesome time! It was my wife’s first multi-day trip, so we were coming back very married or very divorced. It all worked out for the best.

2 Likes

Wow! She must be quite adventurous.

Sounds like an epic adventure! Hard to beat a honeymoon like that.

1 Like

Grizzlies and brown bears same exact thing save for diet and geographical area.

I’ve never heard of bears messing with insulin, but not sure I’ve ever heard it come up before. I’d keep my insulin on me at all times probably in a fanny pack or something like that where it wouldn’t be pressing against your body absorbing body heat—- next to my gun.