Dexcom time lag, and interstitial fluid glucose vs BG

@Michel Ha! That gave me a good laugh! I’ve never been thin a day in my life. I’ve lost about ten pounds since reducing daily carbs, but now at 5’9" and 170 lbs I’m hardly svelte.

Michel, maybe we’re related :wink:

2 Likes

Its a good thing that I’ve put on TWENTY pounds since my diagnosis then and 10lbs above my normal… added some to triceps, belly, glutes. I’ve only tried triceps and the other spots don’t appeal. I’m 5’6’’ ~125 now so not fat. Just enough room for a dex. I’ve been swimming/running a lot and I hope at least some of this extra weight comes off, but as long as I have that one spot between my tricep and deltoid I’m good.

5 Likes

After reading up on it a while ago I concluded that the CGM displays its best estimate of what a laboratory meter would say your BG is right now. The sensor measures glucose in the interstitial fluid which lags behind the actual BG. They used to say there is a 15 minute lag, but the most convincing papers I read said it is more like 7 minutes or 10 minutes, but it varies across individuals, and within an individual it varies across time. So the job of the CGM algorithm is to follow the sensor values and compute its best estimate of actual BG right now, using a history of calibrations to help tune its estimate for you, today. Because of the time lag and the algorithm’s projection of the sensor glucose measurements “into the future” to estimate your current BG, the CGM tends to overshoot at tops and bottoms, particularly if you gave a big rage bolus or glucose hit because of double up or down arrows.

Someone said that if you have a stagnating CGM that is kind of stuck on an old value, you can try massaging your tissue around the sensor to try to get the interstitial fluid moving. There are a couple times I think this technique helped me bring my Dexcom readings up to date.

3 Likes

Doc, (and all )

i had the same problem with the dex. i have no body fat and i couldn’t get that damn sensor to go in w/out hitting a capillary, etc, and it was so painful. all i ever got on my receiver were the ???. i couldn’t get more than 2-3 days out of one sensor; of course, they are a great company and always replaced the sensors overnight.

it just wasn’t for me. now i do about 20+ finger sticks a day. i wish someone would develop something for lean people. i wouldn’t be so bothered by the lag time if i were just able to get some info out of a sensor.

1 Like