Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

i actually look forward to posting them. when i re-read the thread from the very begining, i cant even believe how far i have come. i dont mean that in an arrogant way; just that i NEVER thought that i could do what i am doing today. also, with each day is a new lesson, and i enjoy being able to post that as well.

so thank you for your encouragement; it certainly means a lot to me. :smile:

2 Likes

I never had a doubt you could do this.

This is what I said to you:

That :arrow_up: is what I told you in May.

But it was May of 2017 !!

You can go check it out! Somewhere around post 80, way at the top of this thread.
:wink:

1 Like

all i had back then were doubts and disbelief. i thought you must be crazy. well now i know that you are crazy, but i no longer have those doubts of what i can do.

but seriously, i couldnt have done any of this without you. i am very grateful. :star_struck:

4 Likes

I am glad to have witnessed this.

Check out today’s quote:
the-occasional-sports-exercise-quote

1 Like

now that is inspirational. (and as you well know by now, i am always up for a good challenge)

1 Like

EXPERIMENT AFTER A TERRIBLE NIGHTS SLEEP #1 :

last night at around 2am, my BG had shot up to 251. i dragged myself out of bed, grabbed
a long 1/2 inch syringe and my vial of insulin and my reading glasses, massaged my thigh for a minute and dosed out 2 units. i woke up again in 2.5 hours, to see how i was doing, and my BG was still high (149) i gave myself a little more insulin and went back to sleep.

when i first woke up this morning at 6am, my BG was 91. i thought “great, i’ll sleep another 1/2 hour and then have Bfast.” well 1/2 hour later my BG was 40. i tossed back 3 Gtabs and gave them an hour to kick in.my BG wouldnt come up until 8am. i was totally off my swimming schedule. an hour off, to be exact. now this stunk, b/c now i knew i would be in the pool while all the little children would be there for their lessons. crowded at that hour, too. ugh. but i wasnt about to pack it in. i hadnt swam for 4 entire days (family obligations, doctors appts, etc), and nothing was about to keep me out of the pool today. no matter how exhausted i was from the BGs i had had to deal with.

but, i did it. i dragged myself to the pool, thinking “if i can just get an hour of laps in, i’ll be satisfied with myself.” but i was able to swim the full 1.5 hours. not only that, but i had one of the best flat lines i have ever had. and all in perfect target range. i am in shock. it was certainly unexpected.

now i dont know what this evening will bring. there are so many variables for potential BGs. will i spike and crash from after drinking my Boost shakes? how hungry will i be for dinner now that i have slugged these 2 very filling shakes down my gullet? and how will i dose for my BG and carbs if my BG keeps getting lower before i want to bolus for my dinner? there are just so many factors to take in. well, we’ll just have to wait and see. i do hope, though, that all goes well.

it was wonderful to be back in the pool after all that time away (4 entire days ) i dont feel like myself if i am not in the pool at the very least 3 days a week. also, my prefered swim schedule is 2 days in a row, one day off (wednesday), 2 days on, then the weekend off. i like the balance, and also, b/c it keeps my BGs in line and in target each day from morning through the night. these past consecutive days off, really screwed up my body. my basal rates were all kookoo. i had to use TBs just to get through each day and night. 105% during the day, and 115% during the evening and throughout the night. it was a really exhausting PITA. i managed, but it is definitely NOT my preferred way to live. up, down, up and down, and all over the place.

it is much easier to manage my BG when i am as active as possible. it really makes an enormous difference, and it makes my life much more enjoyable!

here are today’s stats:
2pm BG 111
2:30 BG 111 (took 1 Gtab )
3pm BG 115
3:30 BG 115
4pm BG 110
4:30 BG 113
not bad for someone who slept only a wink the night before :blush:

signing off,
DM

5 Likes

Not bad at all! What an amazingly flat line!

2 Likes

oh my goodness this is basically a completely flat line!!! crazy!!!

2 Likes

Awesome job, DM!

Maybe you should consider not getting as much sleep all the time.
:grinning:

2 Likes

HAHAHAHA. maybe i should consider drinking coffee after dinner and right before i go to bed.

1 Like

CAN I REPEAT YESTERDAY’S SUCCESS EXPERIMENT # 1:

woke up several times last night to test my sugars. had to do a small correction at around 2am. this has been consistent now for over a week, so today i made an overnight basal change. (i hope i have hit the nail on the head. i also made a very minor morning ICR change yesterday so i wouldnt go low after eating Bfast.) (it worked out very well )

my morning BGs were excellent, so i was pleased and knew i was on the right course for my swimming target range. i started out the day at 5:30am with a BG of 78. after a hearty Bfast i was 103.

despite the minor overnight glitch, i had an excellent night’s sleep, and i can say unequivicably that it made all the difference in the world.

i went into the pool feeling strong and rested and very excited for my swim.

here are todays stats:
1pm BG 102 (took 1/2 Gtab )
1:20 BG 112
2pm BG 106
2:30 BG 93
3pm BG 86
3:30 BG 89

i just finished drinking my shakes and am hoping that i neither spike nor crash. yesterday went perfectly. for whatever reason, i stayed flat throughout the evening and the night. i was able to bolus for my dinner without any problems. it was such a relief and a blessing that i didnt need to take any carbs for a low BG or insulin for a high. i just want to cherish that in case it doesnt happen tonight. i want to remember that it is possible. my thoughts are that i might find myself going low today b/c my swim was much harder than yesterdays. but i am not planning on wasting my time worrying about anything that hasnt happened yet. no point. i’ll deal with whatever comes my way.

i will be swimming again tomorrow, and i am already looking forward to that. i love to get in a good swim before the weekend.

i just want to add, b/c i think its so sweet, that one of the lifeguards is leaving, and after my swim he gave me a “goodbye” hug. (the lifeguards all know that i am D and understand when i get out of the pool to test my BG; also, they always ask me if i’m “OK” and on target; they are very kind)

signing off,
DM

3 Likes

I dedicated today’s song to you.
wkfud-the-all-dedication-line

1 Like

i have been re-reading this thread from the beginning, and i am so surprised by how my process has unfolded. how patient eric and everyone else has been with me. i am also shocked that never having met ANY of you, i put my trust and my faith in all of your suggestions so blindly. i am so happy that i chose to do so.

i cant begin to express my gratitude for being so welcomed into this community. the constant and continued support i receive astounds me each and every day. i hope that i am able to return even just a little of what has been so freely given to and shared with me.

so, all that mushy stuff being said, let us return to eric’s musical talent and find some new lyrics to express our collective and tremendous sense of humor. :rofl:

4 Likes

SWIMMING WHEN I AM EXHAUSTED EXPERIMENT #1:

although i did not crash after yesterday’s swim, my BGs went low throughout the evening and overnight and this morning. i was on my lowered basal pattern (which i use for swim days) but i could have easily set a lowered TB and been more comfortable physically. today i am not making the same mistake; i got out of the pool and lowered my basal by 5% as soon as i hooked my pump back on ( on the MM pump it is called a 95% basal.) i hope that this helps.

i think that the lowest i went last night was 47, which was after dinner, but it was easily corrected with a delicious chocolate covered malt ball :rofl:. but throughout the night, i had several lows which kept waking me up. basically, it was a challenge to get out of bed this morning; i just dont sleep well when my BG is not in a safe target range. it just wipes me out.

but, i got into the pool anyhow, knowing that i would be off for the weekend. so, 2 full days and nights of recovery and refueling. i must say that i am truly looking forward to the rest. it takes a lot out of me to swim hard for 3 days in a row when i am dealing with all the re-cooperation from low BGs. i’m certain that you can relate in some way to that. sometimes, after a bad low, i just want to go to sleep, b/c i get so tired. but, thankfully, my body was willing to cooperate today, and i got in a good workout.

my stats are nothing special unless i compare them to last years…which makes todays swim stellar. :wink: its funny how we need to put things into context to truly understand and evaluate them. so, no complaints from out of me.

here are todays stats:
1:20 BG 87 (took 2 Gtabs and jumped right in)
2pm BG 98
2:30 BG 110
3pm BG 105
3:30 BG 103
we shall see what the evening brings.

signing out,
DM

PS: have a great weekend everyone!

2 Likes

WHAT CAN HAPPEN ON MY DAYS OFF EXPERIMENT # 1:

so all week i had these beautiful BG numbers. a few lows here and there, but basically in my tight target range, and i was very pleased with myself.

however, yesterday after my swim (i swam hard 3 days in a row), i put my pump on a lowered TB of 95% the moment i got out of the pool and hooked myself back up. well this worked perfectly. i stayed stable all evening and stable throughout the night (i did have several low-sided numbers, but just took a Gtab and went back to sleep.) when the morning came, i was back on 100% basal and ready for a day with my husband watching golf and soccer, on the sofa, just us two couch potatoes. well, my body, which, through swimming, had become no longer diabetic ( :wink: ), decided to have a revolt. “Ha Ha,” said my body, “you are diabetic again, and not only that, but you will need extra insulin than just 100% basal.”

well, i have spent most of my day correcting high BGs, and finally just raised my basal to a 110% TB to see if that will compensate for my sloth. i am getting ready to eat supper (its gotten quite late for me, but i had other obligations), and i would like to see a nudge in a downward motion of my latest BG (150) before i sit down at the table to pig.

so, today is a new learning lesson. my body has developed certain expectations, and i need, as always, to be more flexable, go with the flow, and compensate with my insulin. boy am i grateful to be on my pump. the pump is, sometimes, my very best friend. and, hopefully before bedtime, my BGs will be in working order once again.

signing off,
DM

PS: i was just about to press the “Reply” button, and i decided i would do another finger stick. well, guess what? my BG is now 96. :smile: (i will never underestimate the power of insulin :wink:)

1 Like

What is your pump infusion day? Always keep that in mind. Sometimes day 3 can be a bit wonky compared to day 1.

it was my 3rd day. i changed out my pump at 7:50 am and am currently on 130% TB after doing multi IM injections throughout the night. i am whipped and frustrated :disappointed_relieved: .

after my pump bolus, i came down to 88 (from 140 ) after a 1/2 hour pre-bolus. ( right before eating Bfast.) returned my pump back to 120% TB. dont want to crash.

ate Bfast and am wondering what will happen. at least i know that my pump is working properly.

REBOUND BG EXPERIMENT #1:

no problems during last night, thank god. woke up at BG 74 on 105% TB after having changed my pump out the day before. all new insulin, new resevior, new infusion, new “virgin” site…

at 10am my BG was 98 and i turned off the TB. i was now at 100% basal and curious to see how the morning played out. well, it played out perfectly, smoothly; as if i had never had the problems from the past 2 days. curious. this disease is very curious. always keeps me on my toes :wink:

i turned off my pump at 11am with no IOB except the basal. so i turned my pump off and was now on 0% TB and would be off my pump for a total of 4 hours. i bolused .4 units (to keep from spiking), and i waited until 1pm to walk to the pool. i tested before i walked to the pool. my BG was 110 . its a 15 minute (very very fast) walk to the pool and by the time i got there, my BG was 120. i took 1/2 a Gtab and jumped in. ( i think i should have skipped the Gtab altogether).

1:20 BG 120
2pm BG 130
2:30 BG 110
3pm BG 100
3:30 BG 85

i swam really hard and as fast as i could for the second hour.( the first was just a nice, moderate warm-up.) my legs are going to feel like “Gumby” later. (LOL) but i feel really great about my swim today.

i am going to be keeping a strict watch on my evening BGs considering what happened the past 2 days. it was consistant, at least, with my BGs running high at exactly the same time both days. so if its a basal problem, its easy enough to make a small correction. (both days i started climbing at 7pm and by 8:30pm my BGs had risen into the 200s. so, i would probably raise my basal at around 5pm, very modestly, by about .25 units per hour as a starting point. i know thats not much, but i would rather see the effect that it has on my BGs without crashing. who knows, maybe that will be just the bump i need. (wouldnt that be great to get it on the first try!!! )

keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for all of your prayers :sunny:

signing off,
DM

Good job today! This evening you will be much better than Saturday and Sunday.

Do you mean .025?

If you bump up to 105%, that would be about .025 per hour more, not 0.25 more.

I am hoping that is what you mean! Otherwise you will have a malt-ball and Ovaltine night. :wink:

1 Like