Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Since you are more worried about crashing, why not start at 180 until you get more comfortable with it? Eventually I know you can stay flat, it will just take time and experimenting.

If you are disconnected for 1 1/2 hours, I would suggest starting with replacing only a half hour of basal, but then bolus and have carbs right after class. That will help.

I DID IT !!! it didn’t work, but i tried and at least now i have a starting point for tomorrow.

so here was the formula that i used today: 1 1/2 hour before swim, i turned on my temp basal to 50% and i ate 1/2 Ucan bar. i waited 1 1/2 hours and tested: 160 pre-swim. seemed ok, right? so i swam for 45 minutes, got out of the pool and tested 116. got back into the pool for another 15 minutes and then retested. 96. so i got out of the pool and then gave myself a .8 unit manual bolus to correct from the time i was disconnected from my pump.

so i still crashed and did not get the flatline i was hoping for, but i didn’t go low either. i was disappointed that i could not swim longer than an hour, but next time, i will try out a different method. i think that i should just SUSPEND my pump 1 hour before i jump into the pool and see if that works for me. still, i won’t jump in unless my BGs are in the 160-180 range (i wouldn’t feel safe).

I refuse to give up. thanks everybody :blush:

4 Likes

I think this is pretty darn good for a first try! Congratulations!

You remind me of how we worked at treating pizza after my son was diagnosed. it took us quite a few tries before we got even close - but we kept on trying and trying!

Great step forward, I am really excited to read about the next ones!

earlier on another post, i wrote you that i only use a total of about 20units of novolog a day and that my total carb consumption was around 60gms per day. well, that is no longer accurate. since i have been increasing my carbs for swimming (as you have suggested) my total units of insulin/day has increased to between 25 and 30. i dont know when to consider something a “carb” though; i bolus for protein, not just bread, etc, so do i count the units of insulin that i use to cover my “carbs” or do i count only the non-protein food? am i making any sense here? i am very curious about this.

if anyone has an answer to this, please post it. i will be very very grateful :smile:

This is fabulous @daisymae, this is like a great first draft!

i know that the experiment didnt work in terms of flat lining my BGs, but i feel so empowered for having tried in the first place. i have a lot more confidence now than ever. for the first time being D, i dont feel limited and governed by the disease. i think that this will not only help me emotionally, but it will help me with my fears about trying to take chances in other areas of my D life (food, mainly)

3 Likes

This is great!

That’s good stuff, you are moving in the right direction. But I disagree with you a little bit saying it did not work!

Before, you were seeing a drop of 100 + points during a swim! In one of your previous posts, you had a 140 point drop.

Today, you only dropped 64 points (160 to 96).

I think that is tremendous progress!

You said before that at this time of day your basal is 0.625 per hour. And you cut it to 50% for 1 1/2 hours, so you took away 0.468 units of insulin. If tomorrow you cut 100% for a whole hour, that will be 0.625 less, so you will be taking away a little more than you did today. That sounds like a good plan.

When I suggested more carbs, I am speaking of the food type. Getting more of the types of foods that have carbs. So you should maintain the protein and fat, and just add to the total number of carbs in your diet. What I mean is don’t substitute one for the other, but increase your carb intake. Especially immediately following a swim and for dinner!

Keep it up! Good work today!

2 Likes

This looks like it will be about a 40 point drop.

last few mornings my fasting BGs have been on the high side: 169, 150, 151. i dont know why this is happening; maybe its just D doing its thing. but i am wondering if it has anything to do with my swimming. its only been the past 3 days, though. all of my other sugars are perfectly on point. could this be hormonal? i just wake up and then correct, and then the rest of my day is completely on target.

any feelings/ thoughts about this?

I would guess that if you are increasing your carbs, your body does not have to pull as much glucose out of your blood to restore. So you may just need to adjust your basal a bit until everything gets figured out.

Everything works together. But you are on the right track with the changes you are making. Extra carbs, cutting your basal off before swimming, all these things work together.

i increased my midnight - 8am basal by .25, goes up from .625 to .65 we’ll see how that works.

no swimming today. had MD appt in the city and its pouring rain here and very nasty and wet outside. so i am fueling up on protein and carbs and hydration so i can have great swim tomorrow.

tomorrow i will do 0% basal for 1 hour before i jump into the pool and have 1/2 Ucan bar to elevate my BGs a bit so i wont be afraid of crashing. that should bring me up to about 150ish before my swim.

will keep you posted. i am very excited about the experiment!!! cant wait.

2 Likes

I can’t wait either. I will stick with my 40 point prediction!

cool beans about your 40 point prediction.

also, i am curious how my overnight basal increase will work. i’ll have to keep my eye on it. just repaired a low of 60 w/ 2 GTabs and some chocolate (yummy) :blush:

so today is the second day of my BG swimming experiment. at 12pm noon, i will test my BGs, then follow by 1/2 Ucan bar. then, at 12:30pm, i will turn off my pump. i will then wait 1 hour, check my BGs and hope that it will be safe to go to the pool.

i will swim for 1/2 hour, get out of the pool to test, and see how i am doing. hopefully, i will be able to get back into the pool and continue swimming.

i am very excited, but still nervous. all of this experimenting is totally out of my comfort zone. but, live and learn :smile:

will keep everyone posted.

thx again for all of your support. it gives me the confidence that i need to continue on my path to healthy exercise while detached from my pump, without going too high or too low.

Daisy Mae

1 Like

You will be fine today!

How was your BG last night with your basal increase?

increased overnight basal was NOT the solution; i went low throughout the night. kept waking up to take Gtabs. finally put the basal back to regular and woke up at 72. so far, so good.

Those things vary a lot for me. I frequently adjust basal for nighttime! Often it depends on what I have done during the day.

experiment # 2

i dont know how well this actually worked, but i will lay it out for you so you can see for yourself.

1 hour before i swam, my BG was 120. i lowered my basal to 0% for a 1 hour period. after that hour passed, my BGs spiked to 225. i walked to the pool and jumped right into the water. i swam for an hour, got out of the pool and tested; BGs were 146; got back into the pool and swam another 1/2 hour. BG was 129.got back in and swam again. got out after another 1/2 hour, and tested; my BG was 119. after 2 hours of laps, i got out of the pool and re-attached my pump and gave myself 1.2 units bolus (just a guess, since i was technically off my pump for 3 hours) .

so, my disappointment is this: i spiked high after turning off my pump for the hour. i was hoping for a nice middle ground of about 150ish, but so be it. also, instead of flat lining , my BGs dropped significantly from the moment i got into the pool until the moment i got out.

good news is this: my lowering BGs were slower than in the past. there was no outright plummeting. also, i was able to swim for 2 full hours without crashing. AND: since today is friday, and i know i will be taking 2 rest days, i swam harder, faster and longer than my average swim. i really pushed myself.

now i know that there has got to be a way for me to flat line. i dont know it yet, but i am determined to figuring it out. i am thinking that i might try a 40% temp basal before i swim on monday as the 50% was not enough and the 0% was too much.

hoping for you guys to put in your 2 cents of experience with as many suggestions as possible.

i will be watching closely what my BGs will be like through the evening and over-night. i have no clue as to what is should expect. i cant believe i actually did this :smile: i hope all remains in target and stable. say some prayers for me :wink: and thank you all for your continued support. (i really need it to keep me going ! )

DM,
I think this sounds great!

Here is the wonderful news:

Your second hour, you only dropped 27 points!! Did you hear that? 2nd hour, only 27 points!

You have to be patient with these things. Maybe try the same thing again Monday and see if it works the same or different.

Try to see a pattern. It may work a certain way 4 out of 5 times, but if you adjust every time you will never know for sure.

To me this progress sounds wonderful.