Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Wow!! This is really fabulous @daisymae!!

It really seems like you’re converging on a system tht works really well for your swimming.! We took our kiddo swimming three days this week and have been stymied by his BG control with the time off the pump, the sun, the excitement… but watching how you’ve slowly improved each day to hit upon a system that works has been a real inspiration.

1 Like

there’s only one thing to say in reply: keep on truck’in :wink: !!!

1 Like

in case anyone is wondering, the cat on my new icon is Oscar Wilde. he is my 2 yr old Burmese. sleeps under the covers with us, etc. if you would like to know anything else about him, feel free to ask.he is a very unusual cat.

but down to business:

i have planned to be in the pool tomorrow before 2pm. prepping as usual beforehand. all’s well with that. so all weekend i have been knoshing and carbo loading and protein loading and chilling out. today was the BIG day for my favorite burger joint meal: big juicy burger on a brioche bun with well done fries and guacamole with corn chips. now i have had this bolusing formula down pat for a while now, so nothing was going to get in my way, right??? well, i neglected to account for the misplaced infusion site when i changed my pump, my sky-rocketing BGs after lunch, my crash after correcting once i changed my site, my low BG while walking all the way to the restaurant (20 minutes or so on a beautiful day like today). well, all seemed well.(LOL)

if i had a working dexcom,the arrow would have been facing straight down. i couldn’t eat enough Gtabs fast enough. but i was determined; i had a mission. i was gonna eat this darned meal even if i had to pass out to do it. :wink:

well, about one & 1/2 hours after my meal,which was everything i dreamed it would be, i went down to 40. GTabs and chocolate. maybe even some of the Ovaltine a friend sent me, with a huge glass of milk.

so, what seemed like something went wrong, i say Yahoo ! i had my cake and ate it too. Yippie Kai Yay. :blush:

yours truly, Daisy Mae

4 Likes

I personally can’t wait for your endo to look at your exercise traces. Do you return the sensor soon?

i see him this coming wednesday, the 12th of july. i am very curious as well.

Hopefully, he congratulates you with open arms for finding an alternative solution that lets you exercise like a beast.

i think his ego is too BIG :wink:

EXPERIMENT # 22:

as i mentioned yesterday, i loaded up with fuel all w/end. i was ready for todays swim. feeling great, etc. psyched.
turned off basal at 11:15am my bg was 144 (i over-corrected after a morning low) turned off my basal with no other IOB.
1:30pm bg 164
2:15pm bg 155
2:45pm bg 118
3:15pm bg 124
3:30pm bg 116 (at which point i gave myself 2.5 units manually…ignoring my pumps suggestion, just to replenish the basal i missed while off my pump and to prevent a post-work-out spike)

what i notice is that i plateau, as eric has promised me i would, after a little over an hour of swimming. at that point, i have been on no insulin since 11:15am. so that means that after about 3 hours of no IOB, i stabilize. and, i am in perfect target range. and, this is w/out having to take any carbs when i hop out of the pool to test. this astounds me. :smile:

so,and i am guessing here, (and i am certain that eric will chime in and have something to say about this) that when i am coming down from the 164 bg starting point to the 2:45pm 118 bg, i must still have some insulin running through my system.

does this make sense? i think this is a very helpful learning tool, but i have no idea how to use the info to improve my swim.

SOS (save our swimmer )

yours truly, Daisy Mae

1 Like

Right, it looks like you are still using up a little remaining insulin until you get to the 4 hour point, where you level out.

Keep in mind, when you are swimming, your insulin is extremely amplified, so even a little bit will still cause you to drop. You recall the days of 100+ point drops, right?!?

Looks like you have a good idea of the insulin timing now!

What are you looking to do? Do you want to try to start lower?

Or are you interested in improving cardio with your swimming? We can start working on heart rate next if you want.

YES. those days are now a thing of the past :blush:

also, what i would like to work on is distance and longevity. strength. my cardio is fine. no huffing or puffing at all. if i werent in the water, i could have a conversation or sing a song, etc without a problem in the world.

YES. i would like to start at 120-ish. but i wonder: if i am leveling out at about 3.5 hours, should i increase the time off my basal? like try a TB of 0% for 3 hours instead of 2.5 hours? that way, when i get into the pool, i will not drop as quickly in the beginning of my swim before i begin to plateau. does this logic make sense to you?

1 Like

Yes, that might work. But the only problem is you won’t stay completely level forever. Eventually you start rising again. :frowning:

So you have to balance it out.

If you want to start lower, like around 120, a longer amount of basal disconnect might make it tough to be at 120. You start climbing a good bit before swimming.

Maybe you could take a little more insulin right when you cut off the basal, so you will start a little lower.

So a 3 hour disconnect, but a little more preemptive basal replacement at disconnection time…

Or, totally different, if you have a shorter zero basal time, you won’t start as high, and you could still be dropping a little bit, but you could take small snacks while swimming to stop the drop.

So those are two possibilities. Make sense?

We should talk about this sometime. Are you basically doing the same type of swimming for your workouts, the same speed and level of exertion? Or do you vary it up? Different paces and so forth? Do you ever do speedwork - fast laps followed by some slower recovery laps?

eric, i think i am over-bolusing for the post swim insulin replacement. i keep plummeting to 60s 2.5 hour post bolus. (i’ve been giving myself 2.5 units right after i get out of the pool. thats 4.5 hours --approx–off of all insulin) perhaps tomorrow i will try just 2 units???

any thoughts?

Did you eat as soon as you got in the door of your house? That’s what you need to do.

Don’t lower the bolus. Instead, increase the food/carbs when you are done. That’s what helps you the most for the next day.

If you are dropping to the 60’s you need to eat more. Eat, wait, check your BG, and if you need to, eat some more. Fuel that tank.

before supper i went down to 57. but i wanted to eat, so i over-road my Wizard completely and made a “guesstamet” of how many units i needed.

i had some left-over IOB, so i just calculated that into what extra insulin i was bolusing. so i bloused at 57 instead of waiting for my BGs to come up.

if i need more insulin in 2 hours, i’ll just correct with more.

there is a lot of math and chemistry and physics involved, and i am no science wiz :blush:

no. the closest i get to that is when i am warming up for the first 1/2 hour. after that, i pick up my pace and i push harder, faster, stronger. but i dont do speed work per say. i know what you’re talking about, b/c my husband used to do a lot of it when he was training for marathons. maybe that is a goal i could work towards. i think what i would like first off is lowering my bg when i get intot the pool. but then, i dont know. what i am doing now has been working rather well when i look back over the beginning of my swimming journey :smile: . maybe “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Did you eat after your swim and before your dinner? Or was dinner your post-workout fuel?

Tell me the factors your wizard uses to tell you how much insulin to take. And then tell me the things that you use when deciding to override the wizard. What factors do you use?

Does this make sense for starting a bit lower?

dinner was my post work-out fuel. the Wizard is based on my I:C ratio, IS, and CF. it also accounts for IOB and somehow deducts that from the toal amount of insulin i would otherwise need. the Wizard told me to take 3.5 units. i took 2.5 instead. just tested, purely out of curiosity, knowing full-well that my food had probably not fully hit my system, 1 hour post start of meal, and my bg was 87. i am prepared with more insulin and more chocolate :wink:

i just made a complete guess as to how much insulin i should take. i wanted to be on the sqafe side, and yet i didnt want to enter the world of the spikes. it can go one of 3 ways: low, on the money, high.

So your wizard looks at 5 things (you forgot your BG, I know it must consider that!).

When you take a guess, you consider all of those things - you thought about being disconnected from the pump for 4 hours (no IOB), you know your correction factor, insulin sensitivity, and your I:C ratio, right? And you consider your BG also. So you consider the same 5 things.

But here is what you consider that your wizard does not.

1. Is my BG going up or down?
  2. How fast is it going up or down?
  3. What did I just finish doing for 2 hours in the pool? Exercise!
  4. What am I having for dinner (not just carbs, but all your experience with what those carbs do to you)
  5. Am I having coffee which spikes me?
  6. Am I having fat which slows things down?
  7. Am I having protein, which I need to bolus for, even though my Endo doesn’t think I need to.
  8. Do I have access to emergency chocolate so I can take a bit more? Or am I walking around and I need to play it safe and take less.

There is so much more you think about. My point is that you are the real wizard, not your pump. :wink:

1 Like

thanks. you’re right on point, and so are my post meal bgs (105) :blush:

1 Like

i dont understand how this endo can so blatantly ignore the facts year after year every three months…all the info and proof that i bring him. do you think he is cursed with a GOD complex?

when i see him this wednesday, i am going to show up with a list of questions which challenge his truisms. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like