Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

its just after 12:30pm and my BGs are up to 133. (when i got up to 80, i gave myself .4 units right before i turned off my basal, so there’s no problem with my bgs not being high enough. i have a guess that they will continue to climb.after my swim yesterday, by dinner time (and after) my bgs were perfect (around 110/120) had 2 cups of milk before bed; my bg was 129.

so todays another experiment. we shall see what happens. i’ll keep you posted.

When you are done (or even 30 minute before you are done) take that bolus and as soon as you get out of the pool, take carbs and more insulin. That is a very helpful thing to do.

It is not as important today if you are taking it easy, but for hard workouts it is very important.

1 Like

EXPERIEMNT # 15 ( I think :wink: )

BEWARE OF THOSE INNOCENT LOOKING SWEDISH FISH ! (one of my lessons for today)

here we go:

11:30am bg 80 turned off basal and gave myself .4 units
12pm bg 109
12:30 bg 133
1:30 bg 128
2pm bg 133 detached from pump and ready to dive into the water.
2:30 bg 138
3pm bg 98 out of nervousness, ate 2 swedish fish and got back into the pool
3:30 bg 110 seemed like those little fishes were helping, so i ate 2 more
4pm bg 151 seemed like those little fish packed quite the punch. caught me off guard.

after a 2 hour swim, i went up to the locker room and bolused 1.8 units (i figured i was on 0% basal for 2 1/2 hours before completely detaching for another 2 hours, totaling 4.5 hours without any basal or bolus; absolutely no IOB) then i thought that perhaps i didn’t bolus enough, so i raced home and drank a gallon of water)

i felt very disappointed with myself for eating those pesky little red chewy (delicious) fish rather than letting myself ride at 110bg . but i am proud that i tried it out. now i know how they effect my body. and as well, i learned that even though i thought i was too low to swim, i had plataued and probably would have stayed or hovered around 100bg for the last hour.

i didn’t expect to swim for the full 2 hours today. i thought i would take it easy and swim for 1.5 hours at a moderate pace. but i think that my body is now more accustomed to swimming the longer distance and it just feels more natural to go for 2 hours. (i also enjoy the adrenalin rush that comes with it :wink: .)

my best guess is that if i didn’t eat those delicious fish, i would have flatlined after the first 1/2 hour in the 100s. well, there is always tomorrow…

anyone out there have experiences with glucose/sugar that they can share with me. as always, i need all the help i can get.

1 Like

BTW everyone:
its about 5:45 here in NYC and i just tested; my bg was 107. i must have done something right.

(now i just got to hope that i don’t crash :wink: .)

Nice job today!

So you went from 133 down to 98 and back up to 151. I betcha you didn’t need those fish. In fact, you should wait until you are done, bolus a bunch and eat about 26 of them to give yourself some sufficient carbs. :wink:

Do me a favor. Just one day, hang on and keep swimming at 98! See what happens! I started my run today at 94. It’s wonderful. Try it one time for me!

Also, tell me about post-swim carbs. How many carbs and what type?

Tip for the day:
Your workout TOMORROW begins as soon as TODAY’S ends and you start taking some carbs. That’s your fuel for tomorrow!

Today seems like a great day though. Happy for you!

i promise that i will do that for you tomorrow. ( i’ll beware of the fish :wink:) [quote=“Eric, post:505, topic:894”]
Your workout TOMORROW begins as soon as TODAY’S ends and you start taking some carbs. That’s your fuel for tomorrow!
[/quote]
2 pieces of rye bread with tuna salad and endive salad with cheese followed by my 2 C of milk and peanut butter. yummmm.

How about tomorrow you keep the bread and make it chocolate milk instead of regular milk?

Carbs, DM!

If you are worried about your weight and total carbs, you can cut back a little at dinner. But the quick carbs when you are finished are ideal. That will help your BG at night.

i must be alone on this one, but i dont like chocolate milk; what i do like, though, is milk with malted Ovaltine. its hard to find in the grocery, though. but, as soon as i find it, i promise to let you know.

what do you consider to be “quick” carbs? are you talking about bread, or do you mean something sugary?

and when you say to bolus “hard,” do you mean adding more insulin than you would typically take for the amount of carbs in the food, or do you just mean to bolus asap?

i noticed that the last time i tried this, i over-bolused and then i crashed terribly by the time i walked home; and that was over the span of just 15 minutes. i went from being over 200 to being around 65 with a ton of IOB. remember? you told me to have the cookie and basically everything else i could get into my mouth. (it was the tonic water disaster day.)

also, could you explain to me (in simple Daisy Mae english) why those post exercise carbs help me over night with my bgs? why dont the dinner carbs count as much? i am confused.

OMG, that’s what I drink all the time when I am done running. I buy bunches of it. I shoulda sent you some with the syringes. Next shipment, I’ll hook you up.

i prefer the plain malted to the chocolate malted (am i mistaken about this??? do they still make a plain malted)

Yes, sugary. Just like if you were low. But you need a lot of insulin to cover it so you don’t spike.

By hard I mean fast and a lot of it right away. The trick is to take more than you need for the carbs you are taking at the moment. So it will come in faster. Then you take in more carbs a bit later so you don’t drop. So you take a good bit of insulin right away, have your sugar treat, walk home, and then take in more substantial carbs like bread, and possibly chocolate or something if you are going low…

Yes. The sooner you take in carbs following a workout where you have used muscle glycogen, the faster it works. Restoring muscle glycogen can take 24-48 hours.

If you do it right away, it is more like 24 hours. If you wait a few hours for dinner, it will be more like 48 hours.

The reason you go low the night after a hard workout is because your body is pulling all the glucose from your blood to try to replace muscle glycogen.

I posted this pic a while ago. Scroll up and re-read that post!

They still make it. Do you want some?

I just sent you a couple of them.
:yum:

you are too kind :blush:

now would you please give me your address so i can send you a cheesecake?
it would be my pleasure to know you’re enjoying one; and i would know that you would be fueling up for your next run. and, i would love to see your dex graph while you are eating it :wink:

at 7:50pm i crashed down to 40. i ate a very hearty dinner and bolused very modestly for it. i think i over-bolused for my “replenishment” of basal after my swim today. (i only gave myself 1.8 units after being off of my pump for 4.5 hours with a bg of 151)

i just had a lot of apple cider and the best best chocolate in the world: Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt. i know it may sound discusting, but trust me when i say that as far as packaged chocolate goes, this is incredible…and it barely raises your bgs; in fact, it kinda stablezes them the way peanut butter does.

I PM-ed it to you!

It’s interesting to compare. Today I finished at 64 and immediately gave myself 4 units. But I did not crash. Because…I drank tons of chocolate milk right after. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

what was the title of the PM? i cannot find it.
DM

(re:cheesecake)

so i went to see my endo this morning and i just got home in time to turn off my basal (bg 91) and give myself .4 units + what was left OB from breakfast (totaling .7 units)

its a little after 11am wednesday morning.

Endo Experience: he was actually very pleased with my BGs; my A1c was a little high (6.4% ) but he was very happy with that as well. he deffinately noticed on the graph when he downloaded my meter the day that i drank the full powerhouse of regular tonic water. but all in all he was happy with all things. he felt very strongly about my sensitivity factor being too high; he said what i thought he would say: he wanted to lower my sensitivity factor b/c since i have been exercising, i am responding to insulin much more strongly. so instead of it being 55, he turned it to 60 (which he claimed was not a large difference, but what the heck do i know about those numbers; i haven’t changed my sensitivity factor since i’ve been on the pump.)

he put a 2 week, waterproof sensor on the backside of my left upper arm so that he could monitor all of my bg levels and i have to maintain a journal of everything i eat and all of my finger stick bgs before and after all meals and log in my snacks. this awta be interesting. (its kind of like the dex sensor, but there is no receiver to watch; it will just stay there for 2 weeks until i see him and he will download it. fancy, huh?

BIG DISAGREEMENT: HE WAS NOT HAPPY WITH MY EXERCISE ROUTINE.

That’s possibly a validation that we are on the right track. :wink:

More important question…are YOU happy with your exercise routine? That’s the biggest validation of whether it is good.

You’ve come a long way in the past few months. You are not a scared little diabetic mouse, you are a lion. :lion: And I love to see it.

Check the quote page today.