Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

I have a similar problem; I have absolutely no hypo awareness while swimming. it would be a real crap-shoot if I didn’t have my meter poolside. also, I only stop after each set; so that’s basically 3 sets of 30 minutes each. and then I only get out to hydrate and do a finger-stick and then I am right back in the pool. (unless, of course, if I need my BG to come up over 70 after a crash)

can you tell me more about this and how it works for you? I just started on high dosages of Tummeric with curcumin and black pepper. unfortunately, bc all these capsules are encased in some form of glucose, I have to empty the capsule into whatever I am eating. (it doesn’t taste bad at all, btw.)it helps with the cramps and the lactic acid build-up. (I also am taking it for arthritic inflammation.)

what is a comfortable BG for you to be swimming with? I think that I am most comfortable between 80 and 120. when I am in my 70s I fear going low and crashing in the pool, so I don’t relax and enjoy my swim much.

how do you handle your re-fuel after your sessions?

Before I started using a Libre poolside, I had a real problem with hypo awareness.

I passed out while swimming a few times in the pool. Needless to say, it is not a good day when you wake up in an ambulance being taken to the hospital. That horrible feeling of being partly unaware of what is going on around you, followed by the intense cold and shaky for hours is not pleasant.

Before I got the Libre and after I had a few bad episodes in the pool, I started getting out of the pool once, twice, or more during each swim to check my BG. That worked okay, but was a nuisance. Often someone would come along and take my lane (I always swim next to a guard and let all the pool/rec center staff know that I am a type 1, and what to look for) and it would be hard to keep in synch with my swim group.

The Libre allows me to scan as much as I want. I swim a lot of longer sets (eg 500 yards or more) and check between each set. I can watch the trends and get something to bring my BG up; of course calibrating for the fact that the Libre reading my be 20 or 30 mg/dl too high at that point in time. That is, if I get a scan that reads 120, I know that I may be 90 to 100 and need to get some glucose.

I cannot swim well if my BG is below 80 or 90. I can tell that I am not able to hold my body horizontal, get good catches, or adequately apply force on the water for propulsion.

To bring my BG up when needed, I keep an insulated bottle of cytomax at the poolside. It is an energy drink (powder mixed with water) that also replenishes various electrolytes and is fairly cheap. A couple of drinks from the bottle and a very short period of time will bring my BG back up.

With respect to the CO 10, I complained to my endo about the cramping due to the statins. He recommended the CO 10 and has worked well. I stall may occasionally get a cramp if I try to keep up with a college div 1 swimmer, but for most of time I am free of them.

Comfortable BG for swimming? As noted above, I can tell I am losing strength and reflexes when my BG is below 80 to 90. I have found that my better times are when I am between 120 and 150.

2 Likes

Everyone at the pool knows that I am D, and they keep an eye on me. they also, very considerately, hold my lane spot for me when I get out to test my BG.

I am so hypo unaware, that I can be swimming at 65 and not even feel it. this does not hold true when I am out of the pool unless I am in my 50s or lower. but, if I get out to test and I am in my 60s (or lower) I take a gel shot, wait 10 minutes and jump back in. it can be a little freaky :crazy_face:

1 Like

HOMEBOUND SICK WITH FEVER EXPERIMENT #1:

been home bound for a week now. had a temp of 103, sweats, chills, Tylenol, Ibuprofen…lots of rest (which was a blessing bc while I was awake, I was miserable)

starting to feel better. fever has gone away. BGs are excellent thanks to my trusted pump TB rate settings (130% TB ) and changes in my ICRs to accommodate bolus insulin needs. its a real challenge and a true PITA. but I am getting through it.

the weather here in Brooklyn is so miserable that I figure, if I’m gonna be sick, this is the perfect t time for it :wink:

1 Like

ALMOST BACK TO 100% EXPERIMENT #1:

well today was my first day outside and my basal rates and ICRs are all back to 100%. I went for an afternoon of fast paced walking, and I felt alive again for the first time in about 10 days.

I plan on giving myself another week before I get back into the pool, but I don’t want to push the limits and end up getting sick again.

but don’t worry, as always, I will keep you posted! :swimming_woman:

signing out,

DM

PS: had my blood drawn today (it was dark red). will find out A1c results shortly. my most recent one before that was in November (by my PCP) it was 5.3 ; this one will be for my endo. I am so curious considering that I have been home in bed for so long with a fever.

3 Likes

SICK AGAIN AND MISSING THE POOL EXPERIMENT #1:

can you believe this??? I was doing fine for about 1 week. I was ready to celebrate the New Year. but 2 days ago I woke up with another fever and crazy high BGs. immediately, I upped my BR and changed my ICRs. I’ve been able to control everything with my pump adjustments, but I cannot get out of bed. massive headache, terrible chills then sweats. taking Benadryl and Excedrin. and just when I thought it was passing, I had to up my TB to 140%.

Oy Vay.

of course, now many friends and family have come down with exactly the same bug. I am not alone. and, in fact, it is a miracle that my husband has not become sick as well. (but, of course, he will not kiss me on the lips :mask: (smart man that I married, :nerd_face: )

I would love to say that I am swimming my heart out and “here are the latest stats:,” but I doubt that will happen until after the holidays are over. :sob:

please everyone pray for me and my health. I really need the prayers.thank you in advance,

signing off:

DM

3 Likes

Hi DM,
I know you have been sick for a while. I am very sorry about that.

Sometimes it is very important to take a bit of a physical break and let your body recovery. And I definitely want you back to 100% (or close) before you push yourself in the pool again.

We had a conversation about patience recently. Do you recall that? It is just a difficult and challenging thing we need to accept…the only way to learn patience is by waiting. There is no other way.

It may take you a few weeks to physically return to where you were. But this is the important thing to remember…

You will NOT lose the most important thing you have gained over the past 3 years.

The wisdom, experience, knowledge. The skills you have developed. Those won’t go away.

Physically, a few weeks and you will be right back where you were.

But the most important stuff is above your neck. And that will always be there.
:pray:

Don’t hurry
Don’t worry
:heart:

5 Likes

Oh, sorry you caught whatever is going around, @daisymae! I know you are a perfectionist and don’t give up easily, but your body is telling you to be good, and rest up so you will be strong come 2020, and ready to hop back into the pool!! :swimming_woman: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

FINALLY, BACK IN THE POOL AGAIN, EXPERIMENT #1:

well I didn’t know what to expect. I felt like I might have forgotten how to swim. its been almost 1 month since I first got sick. then just as I was recovering, I got sick with something else that was going around the neighborhood. ugh.

but I was back in my swimsuit and flip flops and goggles and swim cap, and just jumped into the pool like an old pro.

I only swam for 1 hour today. I was concerned that if I over-did it on my first day back, I might be too sore to swim again tomorrow. I think I made the smart choice bc right now, as I sit here at my desk, my muscles are burning from the mini-workout. (I just popped 2 Turmerics, so I should be just fine in a bit :crossed_fingers:.)

it wasn’t one of my stronger swims, either. my muscles were struggling to remember what to do, so I was kind of slow and sloppy. but I gave myself kudos for my effort :swimming_woman:.

here are todays stats:

1pm bg 112 walk to pool (2 hours of ZB)
1:15 bg 128 jump in
1:45 bg 122
2:15 bg 88 got out of the pool and bolused for 3.5 hours of ZB 2.2 units
3pm bg 100 bolused 1.4 units for 32gms of carbs/protein refuel.

now I’m waiting to see if I bolused correctly. since I’ve been sick and on several different antibiotics, my BG has been crazy high without doing a TB (thank god for my pump; it held everything in a nice target range)

I am eager to see how my evening goes. I’m not using a TB at all unless truly necessary. I want to see how my body reacts to being back in the swim of things :wink:.

I’ll let you know how it goes. and I’ll be back in the pool again tomorrow. can’t wait!!!

signing off,

DM

7 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve been so sick for so long! That’s so frustrating!

Yes!! It’s so great to hear you could get back in the pool, and even if it wasn’t your most favorite swim, you still got it done :muscle: and with great BGs too!

4 Likes

I am so happy to see this. After all the time off, you got right back to it. The BG’s were outstanding.

112, 128, 122, 88, 100?!?!? I mean, where is the diabetes?!?!

After all your time off, to do this is just phenomenal!!

I love this! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Look, the fitness will return. It fades off after time away, and returns after you build it back up. But the D knowledge and skills you have, they will stay with you.

I think this is a wonderful return! Congrats! So happy to see you back on it!

3 Likes

BACK IN THE GROOVE AGAIN, EXPERIMENT #1:

I am really glad that I only swam for 1 hour yesterday; today I was comfortably sore, but in a kind of good way. I was not too sore to push myself harder, and that is exactly what I did. it was a good, strong, and faster swim…almost as if I had never been out of the pool (but not quite that spectacular :wink:).

I am sooooo happy to be back in the pool again!!! its one of my favorite places on this earth that I could be!!!

here are today’s stats:

1:15 bg 110 ate 2 jelly beans and jumped in
1:45 bg 98 ate 2 more jelly beans and jumped back in
2:15 bg 76 ate 3 jelly beans and waited 5 minutes before jumping back in
2:45 bg 85 bolused 2.2 units for 4 hours of ZB
3:15 bg 74 bolused 1.4 units for 32gms of refuel
3:45 bg 75 chilling out

can’t wait to get back in again tomorrow. I also need to remind myself to replenish my gym bag with a ziplock of jellies ( lickerish, coconut, and banana) (my 3 top flavors). they have proven to be such a great source of fast carbs, especially bc I know that each jelly bean has just 1 gm of carbs each, so its easy to measure how much or how little I need. naturally, this was @Eric’s idea. (he’s just full of them :star_struck: ) and it couldn’t have worked out any better. he’s a gem. if I had to, for some unknown reason, go into battle, he would be my first pick to have in my corner.

signing out,

DM

5 Likes

Wow!!

You are totally raising the bar to the next level! Is this the best ever?
:star_struck:

I am super happy to see you back on it!

I gotta raise my game…
:grinning:

4 Likes

it was great, but no, it was not the best ever. but I am totally satisfied with my numbers. not as low as yours are, but I am not comfortable exercising when I am running on empty at 50 :wink: ; if I am in my 70s and 80s I feel the most comfortable physically. emotionally and mentally I feel best in my 90s.

but thanks for the major kudos. it gets me psyched up for tomorrows swim!!! Yahoo!

(and this evening I have had to lower my basals by .025% and change my IC for supper.)

all I need to do now is buy myself some more Jelly Beans from Jelly Belly (If I didn’t mention this earlier, I like the banana, the coconut, and the lickerish :yum:) as well as some more Lindt Dark Chocolate Bars (70% dark is the one I like the most)

thanks, @Eric,

DM

3 Likes

Whoa, @daisymae, you ARE phenominal!! What a great workout. I’m so glad you are back in the pool. I bet your body is so happy, too!!! :heart:

4 Likes

A CHALLENGING AND FRUSTRATING NIGHT EXPERIMENT #1:

even though I had lowered my basal last night, I still battled with low BGs. I would have some fast carbs and include some longer lasting carbs, but 1/2 hour after getting my sugars up, they would go down again.this happened throughout the night. and not just in my 60s but in my 40s. I lowered my basal again, but continued to have the same problem. I had to put off my bfast for an extra hour to accommodate this, but is wasn’t helping much.

finally I was more aggressive with my corrections and brought my BG up to 96. phew. I put on my gym clothes and prepared to prep for my swim (turning off my basal, pre-bolusing, etc). I am just hoping for a good strong swim today. 3rd day in a row.

please, any of you out there: pray for me today. I need all the help and support I can get :+1: :swimming_woman:

3 Likes

I remember a long time ago you were frustrated because you had a hard time and were looking at some other people’s exercise and swimming numbers and wanted to know why you could not do that.

Our discussion lead to the phrase - “When we compare, we despair”. Do you remember that?

Here you are now. You are on top of the mountain :mountain:. You got there with hard work. How is the view? Enjoy it!

You are now on top. You are the champ. And I’ll enjoy chasing you for a while. But do not take it easy. I will not let up. I’ll catch ya one day. :wink:

2 Likes

Your body is fighting to get the glucose carbs back into your muscles. It’s taking as much as it can from your blood all night long.

All of this is your body’s way of saying - please give me more carbs post-swim, and more carbs for dinner!!!

3 Likes

I’ll let you know when I start my training for swimming the English Channel. :rofl:

2 Likes

I am just guessing here ( :rofl: ) but I think that carbs must be your favorite food group! :yum:

1 Like