Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

IT IS FRIDAY!!! I’ll be back in the pool tomorrow. hoping my numbers are better. and YES, definitely my mood is improved after just one 90 minute swim. I did, though, eat like a pig at dinner tonight. my eyes were much bigger than my tummy. :rofl:

3 Likes

Super glad you got everything sorted. The pool beckons! Can’t wait to read about it.

2 Likes

Oh, @daisymae, I’m so glad to hear you are back swimming, and so glad you enjoyed it, too. I agree, exercise is one of the best medicines for our mental health, too, besides helping us physically and with our BGs!! Looking forward to your next post!

3 Likes

Thanks for your encouragement. it’s noon on Friday and I am half way through my swim prep. I am sooooo looking fwd to my swim today. anything can happen, but I know that it will be wonderful.

4 Likes

SECOND DAY BACK EXPERIMENT #1:

well, although not such stellar numbers, today was an improvement over yesterday. I think I will just need some time before my body gets back into shape and becomes more insulin sensitive again.

it was a wonderful swim. the pool was empty. no one to share a lane with. HOORAY!!!
(but it is pouring icicles here in Brooklyn, so maybe no-one wanted to leave their homes for the pool today.)

here are todays stats:

(at 12:50 I was walking to the pool and my BG was 120, but by the time I was about to jump in and start my swim, I had spiked a bit to 144. I think that I was still spiking bc after my first length, my BGs hadn’t come down at all.)

1:15 bg 144
1:45 bg 143
2:15 bg 117
2:45 bg 112 bolused 2.8 units for 4 hours of ZB
3:15 bg 67 bolused 1.6 units for carb replacement shakes
(3:45 bg 51, took 2 tabs) and put myself on a 97% TB.

we shall see what the evening brings. last night was completely uneventful as far as y BGs were concerned.

I am taking off the weekend, as usual, but I will be back in the pool Monday. Have a great weekend everyone! And I look forward to hearing back from you!!! :wink: :sunny:

signing out,

DM

4 Likes

2 days in a row! Everything is getting back to normal. :grinning:

Glad this is happening for you!

BTW, wanted to share this with you.

I have a bunch of Contour Next One meters. Since they all look the same, I write names on the back so I can keep track of them.

I have a spare meter by my treadmill, in case the other one gets dropped when I am running or gets messed up.

I put the name on the back of that meter last year, and it was for you. Because you inspire every day.

Here it is:

3 Likes

so sweet. I am very proud to have a place in your training!!! that means a lot to me :smiley: :ok_hand:

PS: after not having worn my CGM for about 2 months, I just put mine on. my finger-tips are so calloused that I can barely get a drop of blood out of any of them. I have had to move to the sides of my fingers just to get a tiny drop. But what is worse, is that while I was swimming, my right hand got totally numb from neuropathy; I couldn’t feel it at all; and when I got out of the pool to do a finger stick, I couldn’t feel the test strips to pull one out of the bottle. I had to use my left hand’s fingers. it was awful and weird all at once. :disappointed_relieved: :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’ so glad!!! You are indeed stellar! :star_struck: Today is a rotten day weather-wise, but reading about your wonderful swim brightens this rainy day for me!! :blush: :swimming_woman: :rainbow:

3 Likes

All I can say DM is You Rock! I am a swimmer TD-whatever most of pancreas chopped out ten years ago and dealing with any change like illness throws me into crazyville. I am so glad you are able to get back to swimming, it is our Nirvana!

Glenys

4 Likes

Jeeze Louise…

I wish I could say that swimming has been wonderful, but here in Bklyn there is nothing open. no stores, no restaurants, no Starbucks, no schools, no minor surgeries, no gatherings of more than 10 people ( each of whom must stand at least 10 feet apart from one another.) And certainly, no YMCAs (or other such environments). the only things we have here that have remained open are banks, transportation, pharmacies, and grocery stores. Thats it. it is apocalyptic. and almost all of us are seen wearing face masks, surgical gloves and more (my husband even ordered hasmak suits on-line from AMAZON). I don’t go anywhere, except for a walk, unless desperation calls (grocery; pharmacy will deliver) but I do try and get that exercise in every day.

how has this effected my D? well, my body needs 20% more basal and more ICR. my body is just not used to being this stagnant.

What’s happening in your neck of the woods?

Its better to be safe than dead. IMHO.

signing out,

DM

4 Likes

While your body may suffer, and I am sorry about that, your mind is free to grow through reading and movies etc! Hopefully there is some positives. Around my house we have a schedule that we publish so that everyone knows what time dinner will be and then we watch an old movie we have recorded. I can’t help but enjoy having all my children around and watching a movie together every night knowing that this is certainly the last gasp of complete “family” togetherness before my kids launch into the world. Tonight is going to be roasted moose backstrap with a mushroom and horseradish butter sauce followed by watching Dances with wolves.

3 Likes

you’re one lucky guy!

I love how we all know how to spin what might, to others, seem like a terrible situation, and turn it into something so wonderfully precious. Us FUD members are truly the lucky ones!!!

2 Likes

I wanted to see if anyone is still involved in swimming on a regular basis after pools re-opened. The community pool near my house opened in July 2020. After not swimming for months, I had a very hard time getting my endurance back up to a reasonable level and my technique in better shape. Before the shutdown I was doing 500 yd and 1000 yd sets mostly on 120 sec per 100 yd intervals freestyle. I would do mostly freestyle and backstroke and complete 5000 yds a day.

Since getting back into the pool things have gotten better, but I have lost a lot. My best times are 132 sec per 100 yd intervals for 500 yds freestyle. No matter how good I feel, how much I try, how many technique sets I do, I cannot get below that number.

Further, my backstroke is now a complete disaster. I find doing 500 yds in a workout about as much backstroke as I can take. As a result, I am now doing more freestyle.

Has any of the other swimmers had these sorts of problems?

5 Likes

yup!

2 Likes

THE LATEST IN LEG LIFTS:

And to think that just 2 months ago I could not lift this leg more than 2 inches off the ground, much less balance myself in this absurd pose.

Still in a lot of pain, but its Progress, not perfection :wink:

9 Likes

@daisymae, you photos are really hilarious. Keep them coming. Between the nail polish, the NY garb and the great facial expression I am laughing. Sorry about the pain though.

4 Likes

Thats the whole point!!! Yay, keep on laugh’in. (and btw, I didnt think anyone would or could notice my navy nail polish from this picture…but yes, I am NYC peculiar .)

5 Likes

Love these pics of you!!! Wow, you’ve come a long way on recovery in a short time. So happy for you and I know much of the recovery is due to your absolute attention to details and perseverance. Keep it up, DM!!! Love seeing your progress, and can’t wait for your swimming :swimming_woman: posts!

Love your NYC attire in early winter! I’m dressed the same these days! I have to say, I didn’t notice your blue nail polish, so good for you, Chris!!! :star_struck:

3 Likes

POSSIBLE THAT THE POOL WILL CLOSE AGAIN: :weary:

So as most of you must be aware, the CoVid variants are arriving in full force even in the USA. They have travelled quickly, and they are consuming NYC just as fast. Many places that had reopened are now shutting their doors again.

My husband goes to Temple every Shabis in the mornings for prayer, and just this morning received a text that a member of his congregation (who was asymptomatic at the time) tested positive for CoVid just yesterday. And this is despite social distancing, mask wearing, and proper hygiene.

There are lines around the block of people waiting to get tested ( especially because of the holidays and upcoming gatherings and fears of contraction). The take home rapid tests are sold out in stores and pharmacies. And the people who otherwise weren’t getting their vaccinations and booster shots are now lining up in droves to get theirs.

So, back to the pool situation. For the moment, there is talk that this surge of infections may pass in a couple of months. But, on the other hand, their is talk that this will become the “new normal,” and that we must begin to accommodate our safety. The YMCA is still in debate over their decision to close again. They have only been reopened for a brief period so this is absolutely very sad and unexpected news.

I am only writing this as fair warning for everyone’s safety. To consider carefully your decisions and your choices. Personally, I have just reached the 5 month mark post-op and have been really looking forward to jumping back into that pool that I cherish so much. I may not have that option available to me, so I am going to have to get creative. Running is not on the table. For me it is 100% out of the question. I may have to return to speed walking. I may have to pick up something like Yoga (ick).

Any suggestions are welcome. Nothing is too crazy that I won’t try it if it is physically safe for my body. Please chime in!!!

Stay safe, healthy, and enjoy the happiest of holidays!!!

signing out,

DM

5 Likes

I like to do Yoga in moderation, if that isn’t up to your liking, perhaps you could try some light weightlifting, or body weight exercises? My gym has us do a number of weighted and unweighted exercises and it always hurts so good.

2 Likes