FUDiabetes

Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

Thanks for the consolation. glad i came closer to my target range than i had expected.

i have spent the entire eveing eating carbs (without bolusing) just to keep my head above water. i changed my ICR at dinnertime to 1:18, and even with such little IOB, my BGs have been low.

the upside is that i am drinking a lot of cold milk with Ovaltine. MMMMmmmm. protein and carbs! :wink:

1 Like

Glad you are able to keep in range, even if it does take enduring some extra Ovaltine drinks :wink:

1 Like

throughout the night and early this morning, i woke up too low to bolus for bfast. i had to take more tabs and wait an extra 1/2 hour. then after bfast i went low again, and i had to take more tabs. last test i was 87; i test in another 10 minutes and we’ll see how i am doing. a little frustrated.

EDIT: just tested again and i am going down again. my BG was 80. i know many other athletes like this kind of number. for me its a little low for a starting point, especially if i am trending down.

1 Like

Wow, lots of lows, sorry! :tired_face: Maybe a lower basal??:thinking:

1 Like

i think so. today will be my 3rd consecutive day in the pool, so i will probably need to do a TB after i get out of the pool. we’ll see.

1 Like

MORE PRE-BOLUS AT PREP TIME EXPERIMENT #1:

since i have been spiking from the time i turn off my pump, i decided that today i would give myself a greater pre-bolus than normal. i had been going low all of last evening and throughout the morning, so when i started my prep, i thought, “i’ll take 1 Gtab to make certain i dont crash while i am waiting to leave for the pool on ZB.” what a goof that was!!! i went from a lovely 82 up to 126 within 30 minutes. eegads. a real error in judgement, to say the least. so after i started my prep, having only given myself the usual .2 unit bolus, i gave myself another .2 units. i see how that extra bolus impacts my swim BGs now. i think i made a good choice. although my numbers came down fast initially, the rest of my swim was a flat line. i am owing that up to having more IOB when i jumped into the pool. but i did like the results, so i think that i will try that for my next swim and see if i get similar results.

here are today’s stats:

11:30 bg 82 turned off pump, bolused .2 units, ate 1 Gtab
12pm bg 126 bolused another .2 units

got to pool and tested again before jumping in:
1:45 bg 139
2:20 bg 111 (came down fast and hard) took 2 Gtabs and jumped right back in
2:50 bg 95
3:20 bg 110
4pm bg 82

i am taking off till next week. Monday is a Jewish Holiday, so i will be enjoying a long weekend with my husband. on Saturday, June 8th, we will be celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary!!! we’re going to be at the beach on Fire Island. i know its going to be awesome!!!

signing off,

DM

PS: BTW, as i was sitting down at my computer with my 2 Chocolate Boost shakes, my husband came over for some reason or another and he spilled half one of my shakes all over my desk (and computer) since i had already bolused for the carbs in the shake, and i was not certain how much had actually spilled out, i figured WTF, i am always going low after my swims, i’ll just open a new shake and drink the whole thing. MMMmmm was it good. and i just tested and my BG is 79. i must have done something right :wink:

3 Likes

That was fantastic. It is nice when your DM behaves like it should!! :sunny:

Have a great long, weekend. Thinking of going to Fire Island, too, for a run, but it is supposed to be :cloud: . Congratulations on your 26th anniversary!!! :tada:

1 Like

i grew up out there, ever since i was in diapers!! i have only the fondest memories there. no cars, no trucks, no hustle and bustle. just walkers, runners and bicycle riders. its my idea of Heaven!! :sunny:

2 Likes

Wow! Wonderful place to grow up! Have a nice time!!

1 Like

DONT KNOW WHY MY BGs WERE SO HIGH TODAY EXPERIMENT #1:

am very disappointed with my BGs today. and the only reason i can think of why they were so high was that i didnt pre-bolus enough before i shut off my pump. but even after my swim, i bolused my replacement insulin, and my BGs are staying high. i havent drank my shakes yet because i am waiting for them to come back into target. i put in a lot of effort today, but did not get the results i expected i would. it confuses me b/c when i started my prep, i was in perfect target range (100).

here are todays stats:

11am bg 100 turned off my pump and bolused .3 units (should have bolused .4 or even .5 )
1:20 bg 133 jumped in and swam medium/strong
1:50 bg 157 (how on earth did that happen??? ) swam as fast as i possibly could till i couldnt breathe
2:20 bg 134 continued to swim as fast as i could, but not expecting much of a BG decline b/c this is when i plateau from being off my pump for so long
2:50 bg 124 bolused 2.8 units for basal replacement plus .2 units for correction
3:50 bg 121 (why is my BG behaving so stubbornly ??? ( i am usually between 90 and 65 by now)

well, there is always tomorrow. :grimacing:

singing out,

DM

2 Likes

If I hadn’t seen all the times you have perfect results, I would just tell you to lighten up a bit, your numbers are still fantastic, including the 157. But since your perfectionist ways have led to amazing results for so many swims, there must be a reason.

1 Like

thanks for your thoughtful words. when i put things together, i was out on Long Island since last week without swimming. i walked, rode my bike, went to the ocean…but nothing like swimming laps. also, i ate a lot more than i expected with less activity. so… i am guessing that that had a lot to do with my funky numbers.

tonight i over-corrected a low in the 30s with apple juice, and now i just did a correction for a high of 144 with insulin. sometimes its a roller coaster. i just keep my seatbelt on :wink: and keep going.

2 Likes

That is all any of us can do. Keep marching, do you best.

1 Like

Yes, this happens to me, too. If inactive for a while, it takes sometime to get BGs back to “normal”, expected values. That’s why it is always so much “easier” to just keep active w/ exercise everyday!!! :slight_smile: But glad you had a nice mini-vacation!!!

1 Like

well, i wasnt a sloth. i took long walks on the beach, went bike riding,etc. and i wasnt over-indulging in unsual amounts of carbs. a lot of protein based meals.

today, i had similar problems as yesterday, and last night and this morning before i even started were pretty lousy also. but i persevered. tomorrow i plan to do things differently.

ANOTHER WEIRD SWIM EXPERIMENT #2:

Despite my hard swim yesterday and my moderate carb/ high protein dinner last night, i spiked twice last night. first to 144, then i did a correction, and then a little later at 1am all the way up to 189!!!

but then this morning, although my BGs were running a little high (for me), i was on target for my swim prep. (110 ). i was doing just fine on ZB for 1.5 hours. i did not go higher than 119. but then, within 1/2 hour, i spiked to 140. so i dashed to the pool. when i re-tested before jumping in, my BG had spiked even higher to 169!!! OMG. i did a tiny bolus of .1 units, and jumped immediately into the pool, and i swam as hard and as fast as i possibly could to try and fend off another possible spike.

well, thankfully, when i got out to test again, i hadnt spiked any higher. i really owe that to that extra micro bolus. tomorrow, i am not planning on waiting as long on the ZB. instead of 2.5 hours off my pump, i am only going to wait 1.5 hours before jumping in. even if this means that i have to take more Gtabs along the way, i would rather do that than have to swim like a maniac with high BGs :crazy_face:

here are today’s stats:

11am bg 110 turned off pump and did a .4 unit bolus
1pm bg 140 dashed out of my house likea maniac for the pool.
1:20 bg 169 bolused .1 units and jumped into the pool
1:50 bg 164
2:20 bg 129
2:50 bg 110 bolused 2.6 units got dressed and made a mad dash home
3:20 bg 140 bolused 1.6 units for my Boost Shakes (32gms) and an additional .2 units
3:55 bg 110 drank shakes.

just to give you a sense of what a lunatic i was swimming today: i usually swim a 1 minute lap. today i swam a 40 second lap. boy am i going to be sore tonight. i think i will take some Advil and Tylenol. i also plan to eat a hearty dinner (2 cans of tuna, which amounts to 4 servings, and 3 slices of fresh Rye bread, and an avocado.)

and just in case you are wondering, i changed out my entire pump set yesterday as well as again today just to make certain that none of these weird and unexpected BGs were the result of a bad infusion or infusion site. call me neurotic, i know, but remember, i am a perfectionist who lives with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. :wink:

i really did the very best that i could. this D can really through you off your game sometimes.

i am curious to see what this evening brings.

signing off,
DM

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t mean to infer you were!! I know you are always active and work hard to control your BGs and maintain good health! You are amazing! Your daily settings are so inspirational!

1 Like

i was kind of kidding about the “sloth” comment. i didnt take it seriously, so no worries. but thanks for all of the compliments.

today i am trying something new:instead of doing 2.5 hours of ZB, i am only going to do 90 minutes. i am nervous as all hell, but i think that it will keep me from having the spikes that i have been having. this way, i can jump into the pool at a lower BG.

i will report back later on how it went. did i already say this: “I AM SCARED AS ALL HELL.” ???

1 Like

DARING MYSELF TO SWIM WITH A LOW BG EXPERIMENT #1:

today was a new experience. i really wanted to achieve this goal of mine to start out my swim in the lower bgs, but i have been too nervous. but i have put myself to many different tests since i started swimming, and i figured it was time to try something new. so thats exactly what i did. :wink:

at 1pm my bg was 101, i made a mad dash out of my house for the pool. i was well stocked in sugars like my Gtbas as well as a container of apple juice. what could go wrong that i couldnt repair? of course, my nerves were very high, though.

when i got to the pool, my BG was 104. i took 2 gtabs, said a quick prayer, and i jumped in for my first stretch.I was so whipped from yesterday’s swim, that i kept a one minute pace (my standard) which basically translates to 3.5 miles in 90 minutes. not bad for a girl from brooklyn :wink:

here are todays stats:

1pm bg 101
1:20 bg 104 (took 2 Gtabs)
1:50 bg 92 (took 2 Gtabs)
2:20 bg 107 (considered i didnt need those 2 tabs)
2:50 bg 131 (definately did not need those 2 tabs!!! Ooops) (bolused 2.8 units)
3:20 bg 100 (bolused 1.6 units)
3:35 drank my Boost Shakes and had several TBs of peanut butter. think i’ll have some more now.

well, as Eric has been telling me for the past year (even though he has been my Guru for the past 2 years) : be flexible and adjust. each situation will be different. there is no perfect formula for every situation. i have tried so hard to fit everything into one box and expect the same reaction every time. i have proved myself wrong again and again. it has been an incredible roller coaster, and i suppose that that is just the nature of the beast of living with D. however, that doesnt mean that i am limited. i am persistant and with an idea, hope, encouragement, and courage, i can be UNLIMITED.

all of you have helped me to get to where i am today. i could never have done this alone. i guess it really does take a villiage. :sunny:

signing off,
DM

2 Likes

Or one @daisymae!! I think it is easier to find a Daisymae than a village that works as hard as you do.

1 Like

thanks chris!!! the encouragement and compliments are greatly appreciated!! somedays, its the one thing that keeps me going :wink:.

1 Like