Daisy Mae's swimming BG thread

hi eric, thx for your message. just got back from a 2hr swim. phew. major endorphin rush :wink:

my current basal rates are:
12am .625
6am .675
8am .65
10am .625
1pm .575
7pm .625

i swim at 2pm ish 5 days a week (M-F ) what i have been doing is this: w/out any active IOB, my BGs are around 100 at 12noon. i eat 1 UCAN protein bar w/out giving myself any insulin. i wait 1 1/2 hours, and let my BGs climb. once i get to around 200 BG, i leave for the pool; it is a 15 min very brisk walk. i test again and then detach from my pump. after 1 hour, i get out of the pool and test. if my BGs are above 100, i get back into the pool for another 15 min. then i get out and test again depending on what my BGs were. if i am 100 or below, i get out of the pool and discontinue my swim. when i get back to the locker room, i hook up to my pump, give myself a manual bolus (depending on 2 things: one being how high or low my BGs are at the time, and 2, how long i have been off of my pump…b/c this will guide me to knowing what basal insulin i have missed for the duration of my detachment)

i detach again, and take a shower and then go into the sauna for 10 minutes. then when i am getting dressed i re-hook, and then i will generally wait 1 -2 hours before bolusing for any meal (as i have said before, i never have any appitite after a workout. i know i should probably try and get some food in, but i just have no interest. maybe i should reach for the milk and bolus for that???)

also, i just need to mention this, even with having given myself a bolus at the gym, my BGs will still climb for about and hour or 2 after i get back home…so i wait before bolusing for a meal, b/c i want my bolus to reflect an accurate BG so i know how much insulin i will be getting to meet my needs for my meal more accurately.

i hope this answers your questions and that some of this makes any sense to you at all. i really want to have a better system; i just dont know how to get there. i have read all of PONDER’s books, etc. gone on line to read about BGs and exercise; talked with my endo and my D nutritionist…every suggestion i get tells me that this is the way i should be managing things. it just seems kooky to me and i wonder how it will reflect my A1c levels, as i have to constantly get my BGs high before they go low. my last 2 A1cs were 5.8% and 6.2% (pretty tight). my endo would like me to be closer to 7%, but what the f–k; i think i have been doing a decent job of things. i just want to improve.

look fwd to hearing back from you,
Daisy Mae