COVID-19: what do we do if we have to "self-isolate"

I think relatively few people have 12 weeks stored; most will need deliveries or something. Even in Italy with the lockdown though, people are allowed to leave just for food/meds.

California is starting self isolation for those over 65 and those with high risk factors. So far it is a “guideline” and not a lockdown. Here is the link to their current approach:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article241216731.html

My worry right now is the government will panic and impose martial law once the case load gets high…probably starting in some of the unruly east coast cities. If that happens, who knows if deliveries will keep happening for those who have not stockpiled enough food and medications. And gasoline, fill your tank.

1 Like

We have a quest vr headset. It’s pretty fun and vr boxing or beat saber (if you act like a ninja while you do it) definitely qualify as exercise. (And when you don’t want to exercise there’s always Netflix)

2 Likes

Yes, but the UK is already set up to do that; my father was getting food from social services for a year or so; they obtained it, prepped it and tried to get him to eat it. The only problem was that he lacked the cognitive ability to embrace the idea of paying for the food he was eating.

It seems like the UK government is trying to avoid a lockdown, but lockdowns apply to everyone - no leaving the house for non-essential reasons, no walking in the park. A lockdown is easy to enforce, because it doesn’t apply to specific people, it allows essential movement such as getting food and medicine and it minimizes contact across the community so it limits the disease spread rate. From the beeb:

Two weeks after the first 10 towns in northern Italy were declared a “red zone” and put under lockdown, he said they had no new infections.

2 Likes

We have one of the XBox 360 things with the motion capture hardware, the almost free games it comes with are great exercise. The dance games are tedious; they expect you to mimic the moves and neither of us wants to do that. On the other hand there are a lot of movies out there that are good to dance to, it depends on the movie; some of them chop up the tracks so there are only a few dance-worthy seconds at a time.

1 Like

I’ve heard that people are allowed to go for walks but they have to either be alone or leave a certain distance between people.

Notre: In the SF Bay Area (well, 7 counties + Berkeley) we start 3 weeks of in-home lockdown tonight … except for essential employees. However, you can go out for food shopping, to pick up prescriptions, go to doctors appointments, get takeout food, and go for walks and runs. When out, of course, 6+ feet from others …

I predict that my dog will be exhausted from all the walks over the next 3 weeks …

Good luck to all!

John

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion of Government Response to Covid-19

Oregon is also nearing a lockdown:

https://www.oregon.gov/newsroom/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?newsid=36192&utm_source=Portal&utm_medium=03-16-2020%20Press%20Release&utm_campaign=Coronavirus%20Message

That was yesterday, of course we didn’t know that so we went out to get my G6 sensors with the intent of enjoying a last meal at a restaurant only to find they were only doing take-out. Guess that’s what comes of not having a television, or listening to the local radio [to make an inevitably political statement.]

California, outside certain counties, is edging closer but is no where near the position @shott describes. I may offer no explanation of that.

A more detailed analysis of the CA situation is offered by calmatters.org, which recently published an extremely well written piece of original journalism that, nevertheless or more likely because, is not for the faint of politics. Apart from the time today when I was searching for a burger, on a plate, I’ve spent most of today searching for accurate, believable (we do all have good intuition, when we use it) media pages. There are not a lot of them out there. Good hunting, me, I’ve got a whole load of trees to hide behind.

1 Like