Correction Factor Calculation?

When using sleep mode during day, and low carb meals, Sleep mode can usually keep me lower than 150. But if goes higher, I have alert set (on phone/xDrip), and may bolus depending on trend and iob. If rising above 150, and not slowing down, will likely bolus. But I prefer evaluating several factors, such as exercise or IOB as to take next action, if any.

If wait for alarm/correction by CIQ, its too little, too late.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing, what do you typically eat in a low carb day or what is an example of a low carb day for you?

Today, I hadn’t bloused, but just checked and I am 9.8 with a slight raising arrow. Have Control IQ on, and not in sleep mode. I have eaten: 1 coffee with 2 Splenda and 1T half & half, 2 (portioned) slices of Havarti and 6 slices of Salami. I’m about to have some raw veg (mix of peppers, broccoli, tomatoes and carrots) with 2T vegan ranch which I total at 4g carb. I bloused for this, along with the correction calculation. Don’t know why I wouldn’t have been brought down from the 9.8 by Control IQ on its own? Maybe I’ll have to set my iPhone Dexcom alerts to lower numbers to catch any rises? But I thought that was the job of Control IQ? Would this example be because my Dexcom was out of range? I literally have the Tandem like 6" from my Dexcom.

1 Like

That’s what I heard. The boluses are supposed to be faster, but the basal increase should eventually get the job done. Of course it’s ok to give a manual correction bolus if the algorithm isn’t fast enough, just have carbs available if needed.

I think sleep mode has a much lower target range for BG — 112-120 instead of the 112-160 in daytime mode. As I understand it, in daytime mode Control-IQ will be perfectly happy to let your BG stay at 158 without trying to bring it any lower, because it considers 158 to be within the target range. (Is that around 10 in your units?)

Because it considers 9.8 to be within the target range, so it thinks no correction is needed? In sleep mode it would be trying to lower it, because the sleep-mode target range is lower.

2 Likes

Thank you! That all makes sense. I think 158 for me is 8.8, but I could be wrong. I thought the formula was to divide by 18.

Cheers!

2 Likes

When eating low carb, many people need to count fat and protein into calculation. Sometimes referred to as T-A-G (Total available glucose).

https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/do-you-tag-if-so-how/

Also, with higher starting BG, I usually use a higher CF, and wait to eat until i see bg dropping. With higher bg, there can be insulin resistance, that requires more than a static correction factor. Tandem only has one setting. I use tandem to calc, then add more based on these various factors. Occasionally turn off CIQ, and go back to how I did things before CIQ. Using high temp basals (20-30 min) is another option i use and cancel once heading back down to around 150. Then cancel and turn CIQ back on. This avoids CIQ from counting it as IOB.

My goal is tight control, due to many complications after 55+ years T1D, poor control for first 30. With CGM and pump, have maintained 5.5-6 last 25 years.
But definitely takes more attention and interaction due to limitations of CIQ.

3 Likes

I stand corrected.

Anyway in the big picture, we want the automated dosing systems to take care of it for us, but they really aren’t able to do that yet. I find it best to think of it as a cooperative activity, where the algorithm is gently trying to do the right thing, but I feel free to forcefully intervene and give more insulin when I think I know more than the algorithm does about where my BG should be and how to get it there.

4 Likes

Ditto !!!

2 Likes