Closed loop: I want a "well-controlled patient" pump

@Aaron - Tandem is looking to get into Canada. Depending on your timeframe, you may be able to add the Tandem t:slim to your list of possibilities.

July 27, 2017
Q2 2017 Earnings Conference Call
Kim Blickenstaff, CEO, Tandem Diabetes
“To that end, I am excited to share the Tandem is preparing to file for CE Mark by the end of this year. And that we are planning to initiate sales of our t:slim X2 insulin pump and a handful of key geographies outside of the United States, including Canada next year. Our management team has experience in this process, and we plan to partner with distributors, who will service and support our customers outside the United States.”

On our own pump switch earlier this year, we went from the Animas Ping to the Tandem t:slim X2. We really liked the Animas pump and were very happy with their customer support. However not being able to get any information on what they were planning for the future caused us to remove Animas from consideration. I appreciated the willingness of Tandem to share its roadmap of planned updates:
https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/about-us/pipeline

There are plenty of webpages a few years old talking about pump plans of Animas but trying to find official statements which are actually from Animas appears more challenging. I did find this page on the Canadian Animas site:
http://www.animas.ca/products
If you expand bullet point #5 (Keeping you connected) then you see there is a small footnote of #3. Scroll down and you see footnote #3 as:
“Finan et al, “Closed Loop Control Performance of the Hypoglycemia-Hyperglycemia Minimizer (HHM) System in a Feasibility Study”, Journal of Diabetes Science & Technology 2014. Vol. 8(1) 35-42.”
Which can be found a number of places online such as:
Closed-Loop Control Performance of the Hypoglycemia-Hyperglycemia Minimizer (HHM) System in a Feasibility Study

BACKGROUND:
This feasibility study investigated the insulin-delivery characteristics of the Hypoglycemia-Hyperglycemia Minimizer (HHM) System-an automated insulin delivery device-in participants with type 1 diabetes.
METHODS:
Thirteen adults with type 1 diabetes were enrolled in this nonrandomized, uncontrolled, clinical-research-center-based feasibility study. The HHM System comprised a continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion pump, a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), and a model predictive control algorithm with a safety module, run on a laptop platform. Closed-loop control lasted approximately 20 hours, including an overnight period and two meals.
CONCLUSIONS:
Results of this study indicate that the current HHM System is a feasible foundation for development of a closed-loop insulin delivery device.

2 Likes

And even if the closed loop isn’t available the insulin shut-off on a low reading should be available, which is the feature I am most excited about for college.

5 Likes

@Aaron - I guess you can drop Animas from your list of choices.

Animas exiting insulin pump market

Animas has selected Medtronic plc (NYSE: MDT), a world leader in diabetes, as its partner-of-choice to facilitate a seamless transition for patients, caregivers and healthcare providers. Patients using an Animas insulin pump will be offered the option to transfer to a Medtronic pump.

1 Like

I am not terribly happy about further market consolidation into the leading corporate giant.

Less choice. Less competition. Good for the corporate giant. Bad for the consumer.

:frowning:

4 Likes

@Thomas - What a coincidence. To be talking about Animas’ future yesterday and then to find out the answer today.

WOW!

2 Likes

Tandem CEO has now stated that in terms of international sales, Tandem will be prioritized to launch first in Canada. (When approved obviously).

Tandem will be filing for approval before the end of this year and will plan to launch international in 2018 with Canada being at the head of the line.

4 Likes