Cartridge vs Vial

I’m glad you thought it was confusing too. I rewrote it, but a picture is worth a thousand words!

Here’s the assembled syringe, cap, and insulin:

Here’s the setup:

I can’t get that to work as well. Like, I have to pull REALLY hard to get the plunger to work. EH reports that he doesn’t use the cap trick anymore either. :grin: So maybe I’m just extra weak-sauce!?!

3 Likes

You’re awesome! Thx for putting this together. It makes everything crystal clear!

I use these 1ml syringes to fill the pod. It works much better than the omnipod syringe, because it is much easier to get the air bubbles out.

Also, they are marked with individual units, so you know exactly what you are putting in the pod, instead of the unmarked omnipod syringe.

They are inexpensive, a tray of 25 syringes for about $5. Try a few and I bet you will never go back to the omnipod syringes.

That’s a real bet. $5, try it. :wink:

1 Like

I find this frequently as well, with Humalog cartridges. Never thought of using the needle cap! Probably loads easier than the chopstick I’ve been using.

This is interesting. I keep reading about this, but I’ve never had any issue with bubbles. In fact when I withdraw with a regular insulin syringe, I get more bubbles. If I pull down slowly with the Omnipod syringe, I get a big bubble right at the top, which catches all the champagne bubbles, and is easy to push out.

1 Like

The advantage of the 1ml syringe is that you can push the insulin out much faster back into the vial, and expel the air. The omnipod syringe barrel is too large to expel the air bubbles quickly.

For injections I still prefer vial/syringe. Old habits die hard. Vials are what I started with.

1 Like