Adjusting basal on a pump?

why dont they teach you this in Diabetes 101 ? such a worthwhile piece of knowledge.

2 Likes

Has anyone actually seen a good Diabetes 101? I haven’t come across one, which is why I looked to web forums for learning the skills. I think a good Diabetes 101 would have to be interactive. It needs to be something like apprenticing to a master, rather than listening to a lecture, because so much of it is like learning active skills for a craft.

1 Like

maybe this is why FUD works so well. we are a community and we share all of our collective D life knowledge. but, even though i started with Diabetes 101, i feel that after this year i have excelled to taking the Masters Class. :blush:

2 Likes

Does the same work in reverse for example too much basal by half by .05?
My day today was strange, I upped my basal for the whole day by .05 and I ended up eating about 80 carbs in a 4 hour window with no bolus.

Does that make any sense? I did do 30 minutes of weight training 24 hours prior…can .05 swing you that much?

Hard to say if there were other factors, like the exercise.

But I think an increase in basal when you are at 70 will have a lot more impact than the same basal increase when you are at 160.

0.05 units when you are at 160 might mean nothing. But doing it when you are at 70 could mean a lot.

If I am eating snacks 15-20g and not needing to bolus I am assuming basal is too high?
Is there a rule of thumb on a .05 basal reduction on how much it can swing you either way?

If it is not within a few hours of a meal bolus, it sounds like basal is too high.

I am sure there is a formula for it somewhere. But if you are pretty sure your basal is too high, since 0.05 is the minimum increment on the omnipod, you might as well lower it that much and see how much of a difference it makes. Since you can’t lower it any less, and if your basal is too high, it seems like there is no downside to trying it.

so today I had a yogurt in the morning gave 1.5 units as I was 160
-a correction of 1 unit at 12:14
-2:19pm had 10 carbs
-3:44 drop down to 68 had 19 carbs

• got up to 120 by 4:30
    -5:04 was 92

I am assuming it is safe to say I need a basal drop from atleast 1-5?

Certainly is a good possibility.

But it is also possible the 3:44 drop was still a lingering affect of the 1 unit at 12:14.

What happened from 3:44 to 5:04 sounds like it might be too much basal.

Finding the right basal rate is tricky. It is a lot of trial and error. If you have seen this same sort of thing several times with similar results, then make a change and keep an eye on it for several days.

Only make changes after you have given it several days and seen things repeat.

I dropped my pm basal from .60 to .50 I have been testing the 4pm to 9pm segment and 7/5 looked good but yesterday I had an 80 point spike around 8pm.

I did also replace the site at 4pm earlier.

Test one more day using the .50 or is this enough evidence to think .50 is too low?

Since you had a good day and a spike day, I think a few more days of testing would give you a much better idea.