504 Plans for School Age Children

They go hand in hand.

1. Your doctor needs to make a medical plan in accordance with you (that part is really important). That medical plan can change often.

2. The school needs to draw a Diabetes Medical Management Plan, in collaboration with you (that part is pretty important too).

3. The district needs to sign a 504 plan that references the DMMP. The 504 plan in a negotiation.

Once you have a 504 plan somewhere, it is much easier to get a 504 plan some other place that reflects your first plan. You can also use it to get accommodations for exams etc… So the first 504 plan you do is very important.

1 Like

I would be interested in seeing a 504 plan geared toward intensive management. Most of the examples that I have seen from the web are pretty generic and pretty vague.

That medical plan can change often.

Does this not make a whole lot of extra work for the doctor? I mean, we tweak Samson’s basal settings about once every two or three weeks and his ISF and carbF about that often. I think the last time she faxed us a care plan was June of last year, when we switched from shots to the pump.

Maybe the medical plan could reference a “Sensitivity” document. Possibly Google doc, so that way it could be dynamic as the parents see fit. And anyone that references it would have the most up-to-date information.

We wrote the DMMP with the nurse so that the levels can be changed by my son, so there is no problem for us. The best way is to have a clause in the requirements sent by the doctor to give a target set, and add “or xxx as adjusted by Samson’s guardians as needed,” That’s what we did.

Since we change our parameters all the time (every 2-3 weeks or more), we would never be able to manage otherwise. It just couldn’t work. If your endo practice insists on setting basals/ ratios on the plan itself without any adjustment capability, I don’t see how this could work. I think you would have to change endos because this could not be managed.

If the endos put this kind of a clause in their plan, the school has to follow. They may, however, want to set a way for you and them to exchange info on, for instance, updated ratios: that is actually not easy. We don’t bother because my son is responsible for all of that – but you would have to, probably, until your kids are self-managed.

In our school, each kid with a DMMP has a folder at the health room. When something changes, we just change the relevant page in the health folder.

@Bradford, our son is now on a waitlist for a public PreK. We’re still debating whether it makes sense to send him there (the advantage is it gives him a leg up in getting into a better K-5 school in SFUSD’s lottery, but our current preschool is pretty good about treating to our specifications). IF I write something up I’ll share with you, as your little one is around the same age as ours and might have similar treatment protocols.

I will PM you on this subject, as I am not sure how good it would be to discuss publically.

1 Like

I appreciate that. Most of the kids with T1 in my area manage with MDI’s. There really isn’t a precedent set for the technology we use would in my district.

1 Like

And me! :slight_smile:

Just checking in with all the parents of T1’s who completed their 504 meetings with their schools? Our meeting is coming up next week, but the problem we MIGHT have is that we haven’t had our most recent Endo appointment yet??? This is scheduled for a week after the 504 meeting. So, by not having a “Doctor mandated management plan”, we may have problems in our 504 meeting when discussing things like Omniloop, Nightscout, etc.,?

Have any of you parents with younger kids who are looping (@Bradford, @TiaG, all other parents who meet these criteria) had your meetings yet?

How did things go? Resistance? Negotiation issues for the Accommodations requests? Anything you learn that you wish you didn’t know before the meeting?

So nervous about our next 2 “appointments” - 504 meetings with the school and then the Endo appointment…

After making this post, and re-reading the above posts about how schools don’t have to accept things and that they’re more likely too if it’s the the “doctors orders”…we’ve decided to postpone our 504 meeting until after our next Endo appointment so that we can be armed with that paperwork for our 504.

Did any of you have issues getting Endo approval for your Loop systems?

We basically just submitted a report from the hospital to prove the diagnosis and had a meeting with an “at risk services coordinator” to write up the 504 together. He goes to OHVA (online virtual academy), so it may be different for us. It basically just gives him more time for testing, excused absences and the ability to reschedule assignments/tests as needed.

1 Like

If things don’t go our way at the Endo office and/or 504 meeting, way may enroll Liam into home school. Not going to compromise if it means not using loop.

I was hesitant at first, but I have really come to appreciate OHVA. They have many social outings and the curriculum is very good and streamlined. They sent about 20 boxes that included laptop, printer, books and supplies, as well as paying for the internet costs. The program is challenging, but doable.

1 Like

What’s the cost?

Free*. It is government run, so free in that Ohio taxpayers pay for it.

1 Like